Chapter 12: Heart to Heart

Elijah and I made our way back to the ball. He ran off to his adoptive parents and I looked around for Rone. The Queen seemed to be having the time of her life as did all her guests "Nadia?" Crap my father, Lux.

He wore his same old blue suit and white collard shirt underneath, "Hello." His calm stormy eyes scanned me up and down.

"The word is that you and Rone have been getting very close. I thought you were just his guard, isn't that a bit unprofessional?" He jabbed, his lips tight and his fiery red eyes blazing.

"Whats it to you?" Apparently word really does travel fast.

"Just surprised is all," he said putting his hands in his pocket. "You know he's to be king sooner or later right?"

"Of course I know."

He gave me an annoyed look and I knew it was because of how vague I was being. I don't think being Queen is what you want. Didn't you dream of being a commander of the Trax?"

"I like him that's all that matters," I sighed. "I need to go look for Rone, it was nice seeing you Lux. Tell mom and Simon I said I will be over soon."

"With Rone?" My father asked.

Walking away I said with a twisted smile, "Maybe."

I found Rone with his mother, she looked beautiful in her light pink gown. Her petaled pink wings were relaxed down her back, almost like they melted into her dress.

"Nadia!" Queen Livina hummed, "You look breathtaking," she nodded in approval. "Now I heard a little rumor going around about the two of you," she pried.

"What rumors?" Rone asked innocently, still starring at me.

"Dont be coy," she chastened, "The two of you dating, is this true?" She asked her eyes scanning mine suspiciously.

I nodded, "We didn't expect for it to come out so soon, this is all still fresh," I rushed on, making sure she knew nothing was set in stone.

She smiled slowly her wrinkled eyes relaxed, "I seen it coming," she said proud of herself. "Well I'll let you two enjoy your night."

"I'm going with my dad to a council meeting in the morning," Rone said nervously.

I figured tonight wouldn't be the best time to talk about the boy I met and the idea he sparked. "For?'

"My father wants the council to get used to my face, my presence. He really wants me to step up, and Im ready," I could see the determination not only in his eyes but his entire body. He stood tall and proud, The prince of Valkri but also Rone, my friend and more. "I dont know what the meetings for, I feel un ready."

"Just listen, to everyone. You know... I happen to know you're a good listener so this shouldn't be too hard. Plus, I'm sure your father doesn't expect much. Either way you've watched King Vern your whole life, being a king is a part of who you are."

He looked down at me and took my hand in his, "Thank you, I guess I just trip myself out. I want to show not only the council but my parents that I have this. That when they're long gone this world will be better."

"I think they already see that," I told him. "Come on, let's dance, clear your head a little," I pulled him into the small crowd of slow dancers.

   He held me close and even with all the fabric between us I still felt his warmth creeping into my body. It was a weird feeling. I felt giddy with his hand touching mine, laced through my fingers. It felt good knowing I was desired, that I was beautiful.