episode 3

EPISODE 3 RECAP

A man in a mask puts a laptop in a bathroom sink then pours acid over it. He gets a text from someone called “Samael” that says in English: You are already dead. Don’t reveal any more of yourself. Come home.

Hae-ri and Doctor Kim listen to the black box recording from Flight B357, and Hae-ri imagines herself in the cockpit while the plan is going down. There’s a loud BOOM, then nothing, denoting that the plane exploded while still in the air.

Ho-shik, Hae-ri’s embassy coworker, gets Dal-geon out of jail, and when they stop for gas, he asks Dal-geon to get him something to eat. While Dal-geon is in the gas station, a man enters and drops a large duffel bag on the counter, pulls out a gun, and starts looking for Dal-geon.

Luckily, Dal-geon sees the gunman’s reflection in the drinks case and ducks just as the man opens fire. He grabs an aerosol can and put it in the microwave, then leaps out a window as the resulting explosion engulfs the gunman in flames.

He runs for the car, but Ho-shik got out of the car when he heard the noise. Ho-shik is shot, so Dal-geon throws him in the backseat and narrowly manages to drive away.

Looking over the transcript of the call between the copilot and Scar, Hae-ri says it seems like they’re using some sort of code, particularly the numbers they’re saying. Doctor Kim counters that most of the evidence points to aircraft failure, so Hae-ri says she’ll return when she has more solid evidence.

Before she leaves, she takes a look around, and stops to inspect a timeline of the crash events. She realizes that the numbers the terrorists were saying are the precise times that the malfunctions happened, from the first sign of trouble to the explosion exactly fifteen minutes later.