Chapter 2

That was the worst day in my life. I saw in slow motion how Nunbyeol was ripping Mugwang's heart off his chest. He choked on blood, falling on the ground. I was unable to do anything. He died in front of me, covering me. He only wanted to protect me, not knowing that I knew about Nunbyeol. She was a Neanthal, but she was weak just like Sarams.

Nunbyeol's eyes weren't blue anymore. She stumbled, making a step back. She needed to rest.

"Why, Nunbyeol?" I asked, trying to control my weak and trembling voice. "Why you killed him? He wanted to protect me, but you killed him" I cried, kneeling down, next to his body. He was dead. I wasn't able to help him. I tried to stop the bleeding, pressing my hands to the hole in his chest, but it was for nothing.

"He killed mum and dad... He's brutal..." Nunbyeol said silently. I raised my head, looking at her with sorrow.

"So that's why you killed him so brutally?" I asked. She didn't answer. We lost parents, but I lost someone more. I lost him as well.

"I know you liked him" Nunbyeol whispered, clenching her fists. "But I wasn't able to control myself. I was sad and angry, but I didn't want to kill him. I lost my mind for a while, I'm so sorry, Chaeeun. But he would kill us anyway" she said

I shook my head, wiping tears from cheeks.

"He didn't want to kill us. I'm sure he would listen to me..."

I was lying. Mugwang was cruel and got a really big mouth, but he was charming as well. Maybe Nunbyeol didn't notice that, but I did. He wasn't only a brutal warrior for me.

I leaned against him, closing carefully his eyes by my fingers. I touched softly his cheek by my trembling hand. I will never hear his laugh again. I will never see his vicious smirk on his face.

"We can't stay here, Chaeeun. We need to go" said Nunbyeol, grabbing my hand, but I didn't stand up. I couldn't just leave his dead body.

"I don't want to" I whispered.

"They will kill us!"

She was right. We couldn't stay here any longer. I moved the leaves, touching something by my fingers. I bit my lip, lifting Mugwang's heart. I hugged it to my chest, sobbing. His poor heart was still beating in my hands. I didn't know how it was possible, but I had no time. I stood up slowly, realising that my legs were too fragile to make a step. I stumbled, protecting the heart.

"I will bury it" I said with sorrow. Nunbyeol grabbed my arm. I knew well that we couldn't wait. We couldn't stay in Arthdal anymore. If Daekans saw Mugwang's dead body, they would kill us. That was why we had to leave this place forever. But I had to do something first.

I dug the hole, putting carefully Mugwang's heart inside. My cheeks were wet because of the neverending tears. His poor body was lying there under a big tree. I hoped that Daekans would find his body quickly. What if wild animals attack him? That was heartbreaking. The longer I was there, the biggest sorrow I felt.

"Let's go, Chaeeun" whispered Nunbyeol. I stood up with a deep and loud sigh. I didn't have time to pray for him.

"Forgive me, Mugwang" I cried, looking up at the crescent moon. I grabbed the leaves, covering the small grave I made. I looked for the last time in the direction of his body, not being able to stand it. I covered my face, letting my tears race down.

*

My legs were in pain. I was really tired, stumbling all the time. Tears made my face look swollen. I didn't care about it. I felt much worse than I looked. My sister was silent. She thought that I was angry at her? I wasn't. I was just sad. Really sad.