Part 8

Daksh stepped in front of Vivaan, blocking his path to Vrinda's room. "Hey Vivaan, mind if I have a brief conversation with you?""

"Anytime, Bhai. Why are you even asking? Everything good?" Vivaan's worried tone was laced with tension as he asked, "What's the matter?" His eyes tightened in concern.

"I stumbled upon something in the storeroom yesterday while searching for items that might spark Vrinda's memories. I don't know how this came to be, Vivaan," Daksh said, his voice filled with uncertainty. "But I believe Vrinda's subconscious had a premonition about this unfortunate situation, and that's why it happened," he added, handing over a beautifully crafted leather-bound book adorned with intricate artwork on its cover.

"What's this? I've never seen this before. Is this Vrinda's?" Vivaan asked, eagerly accepting the book and flipping through the pages. To his surprise, he discovered that more than half of the pages were filled with elegant handwritten comments. The extravagant 'S' and 'L' in the cursive handwriting were Vrinda's unmistakable trademark, and Vivaan instantly identified it.

"Yeah, and she left you a message. Make sure you read it before you see her today," Daksh said, giving his brother a pat on the shoulder, knowing how tough it could be for him to face her passion again after all that happened.

Vivaan's heart raced as he discovered her secret message, kept hidden from him for so long. His breath grew shallow with anticipation. He longed for a way to experience her friendship again, something more tangible than just memories. At one point, he had firmly believed that memories were invincible, leading to a heated argument between them. He had underestimated how circumstance would prove him wrong, just like many other elements.

While Daksh staged a retreat, he opened the book and ran his fingers over her graceful writing, reflecting on the numerous notes she had left him - some teasing, others mocking, and a few attempting to make up for his poor memory. Little did she know that their devotion would rest on the fragile foundation of his poor memory.

"Dearest Vivaan..."

His cheeks burned as tears trickled down, but a smile blossomed across his trembling lips as he scanned the line.

"You wouldn't believe it, but I had a tough time writing the last line, you know why? I was stumped on how to greet you. Is it 'to the one who captured my heart and is always on my mind' or 'to the one who never misses a chance to argue and tease me'? Should we go with 'to the prankster who loves to flirt' or 'to the philosopher who worships love'?" He chuckled at her descriptions of him.

"Then I thought, I should just use the name I love. You must wonder why I wrote this and why you didn't know for so long. I thought it'd be nice to have a special gift for you at our wedding."

Anguish flooded his chest, constricting his rib cage, at the mere mention of their wedding. He had always accepted that he had shattered her spirit by rejecting her proposal, but he had no idea the extent of the dreams he had crushed. He recognized the essential nature of his actions, but wondered if there was an alternative that could prevent despair and still fulfill his obligation.

"You always say memories last forever, but sometimes they fade away. When you're pissed off or terrified, you can't think of the good times. Actually, the worst show up again. I know you think love is above all sins, but you know I believe love is the boss of sins, right? I really hope we don't have any moments like this, but I'm also writing this so we can look back and remember the good times. And believe me, if you don't like any of this, it's because of your strange way of flirting, got it?" she threatened through the letter, making the salty brine embrace the saccharine smile in a heartrending mix.

He had always preached that love was untainted by sin and transcended above it all. But when he found her in her current state, he realized how mistaken he had been.

The moment he left her, fear wrapped around him like a suffocating cloak, and his heart burned with furious rage, resenting the merciless destiny and the love that had abandoned him. Greed for her had imperiled him while the attachment was simmering his insides with agony as she carried no signs of remembering him. His jealousy grew stronger with each passing moment, fueled by the fear that without memories, she might develop feelings for someone else. The fleeting yet intense touches from her set his desires ablaze. And he had the audacity to claim that love transcended all sins.

As his life came full circle, he couldn't shake the feeling of destiny's presence and the mocking laughter of Vrinda. He was prepared to endure countless defeats if it meant winning back his love, but unfortunately, fate had different plans.

Gulping his emotions down, he continued to read the message left by her.

"In the future, with all the problems life throws at us, we might forget. I want this to be a reminder of all the hurdles we've conquered and make us grin. Who knows, maybe we're witnessing the birth of 'How I Met Your Father'? Anyway, if you are reading this after our marriage, I want to rub in your face that I kept a secret, but if you found this before our marriage, I'll just say that you have opened this like every secret of mine. I hope this brings back all the memories and you like the idea," he read, feeling a lump in his throat from the emotions in her words.

"Forever Yours, Vrinda."

The final sentence left him yearning for more, eager to immerse himself further in her essence. Weeks had passed with her by his side, yet he couldn't shake the feeling that she was simultaneously Vrinda and someone entirely different. She was the same woman he had loved and befriended, but not the one he had known. They had lost the one he had known in the pages of that book he was holding and his bitter-sweet memories.

He knew that as soon as he handed over the book to Vrinda, the realization of her love for Vivaan would wash over her, drowning whatever connection was forming between him as Vihaan and her. His lips twisted into a sardonic smile, the irony of the situation not lost on him. Yet, he was prepared to embrace the risk, recognizing that delving into her own remarks could awaken the slumbering Vrinda hidden within her subconsciousness, and ultimately, he trusted that their passion would conquer all.

But would it?

________________________________

So much lost, and yet so much remaining. Where do you think Vivaan and Vrinda's journey will lead them?