[ 017 ] murphy's laws of combat

59 SECONDS.

Remember, Enobaria had said, the sixty seconds you have before the gong sounds and you're let off the platforms are crucial. It's where you get to tabulate your surroundings, aim for what you want to go for, commit. Once the countdown ends, you surge to the Cornucopia, gather your weapons, and eliminate as many tributes as you can.

Iko glanced around. They were in some sort of enclosure—thick stone walls that were almost twice her height, closing them in with only one exit where the gates had been torn off their hinges—one so big Iko couldn't imagine what it would've been used to hold. Behind her, a thin watchtower stood erect. Overhead, a metallic bridge had been constructed, like a viewing platform spanning from the tower to another on the other side, bisecting the enclosure. Beyond the walls, towering trees wept damp air—giant trees—taller and larger than any she'd ever seen. And beyond them, a soaring range of forested slopes wreathed by fog thick as a cataract lay on the edge of the arena. Janus was right. Humid environment, clear blue skies, thick air rich with the smell of earth. They must be in the heart of a valley, or at least some place on lower ground. If she strained her ears, over the pounding of her heartbeat in her ears, she could catch the faint roar of a waterfall, or rapids, nearby.

All the tributes were placed in a circle, equidistant from the Cornucopia in a randomised order. Alex wasn't within sight, so he was probably on the other side of the giant structure, closest to the gaping mouth that must be twenty feet tall and wide, spilling over with valuable supplies vital to their survival. Unfortunately, until she could get her hands on her precious knives, or any other weapon, that meant Iko was going to have to deal with fighting with her hands when the clock ran down to zero and all the tributes surged to the Cornucopia to fight over the supplies. Another sweep of her surroundings calculated Opal three spots to her left, and Elias on her right. He met her stare with a burning glower, nodding in acknowledgement. Like Alex, Sage and Titus must be on the other side of the Cornucopia, since she couldn't see them. No matter what, they had to make sure the Cornucopia was theirs. No other tribute outside of the Career pack will be allowed to escape with any of the supplies if they could help it.

A breeze cut through the enclosure, tickling the nape of her neck, which had begun to slick with sweat, crawling down her skin from her hairline. Iko kept her eyes on the clock as the seconds ran down. She flexed her fingers, adrenaline flooding her veins, an electric current surging through her blood. Her lips curled into a vicious snarl.

0 SECONDS.

At the sound of the gong, Iko shot off her platform, diving in to the heat of the tributes charging towards the Cornucopia. No time to think. No time to slow down. Iko didn't dare look over her shoulder as she reached the mouth of the Cornucopia. In periphery, Iko spotted a tribute charging her way, and her eyes scrambled for a weapon. Anything. But everything had either been claimed or were buried deep inside, where she wouldn't have time to scrounge. The boy was closing in. Iko sized him up as he neared. He was a foot taller than her. Skinny, but frenzied with adrenaline. He was dangerous. But she could snap his neck in seconds. Like a mantra, Enobaria's advice ran through her head.

If the enemy is in range, so are you.

"Iko!" Sage hollered, somewhere deep in the Cornucopia. Waving her hand, her red hair flashing like ruby flames in the sunlight. Iko turned, and without missing a beat, Sage tossed her a katana. Iko caught it by the hilt, unsheathed it, and swung with all her might into the chest of the boy from Six, who didn't manage to stop himself in time before impaling himself on the blade.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

It gave a sickening squelch as Iko unstuck it, letting the body collapse in a heap to the ground. Iko lunged for the Cornucopia, joining Sage in the shade. She'd managed to get her hands on a sword, and was fending off tributes who thought they could get lucky enough to nick some supplies before running off. A couple of them snuck between the crates of supplies, trying not to draw attention to themselves, only to be met by the two Careers. Iko took pleasure in watching their faces pale in fear as she ran her blade through a boy tribute's chest. None of them made it past Iko and Sage, who slashed and hacked away at whoever came near them.