chap. two

12.10.19

---

" even though your heart seems as if it doesnt belong to mine , alec , i promise mine will always be yours . "

---

Evan sauntered through the halls as he grumbled curses, janitors frowning at him as he passed by.  He stood in front of the wooden door of room 207 and took a deep breath. Pushing the door open, kids inside the class snickered at him and Evan blushed out of embarrassment, not realizing what would happen when he entered the class suddenly. 

"Mr. Williams, I expect you have a pass to dismiss your tardiness to class?" asked his teacher, Mr. Rivera ( eyyy , any aphmau fans out there ? ). 

"Yes, right here," Evan answered, closing the door quietly. The teen pulled a yellow sheet of paper out of his right hoodie pocket and handed it to Mr. Rivera. He waited for the teacher's approval before sitting down in his seat, a pestering Brittney poking his back with a ruler from behind. Evan tried ignoring it, though he'd probably have many bruises after Brittney was done with him. After the seemingly endless poking, he turned around and quietly growled, "What is your problem?!"

Brittney chuckled, putting her hands over her mouth to muffle the sound. "Look at your face, Williams! It's all red."

"Oh my, God," muttered Evan. "You are so freaking childish."

"Tell that to Ironing Board, Cutie."

"Shut up, Brittney."

Someone cleared their throat. Uh oh, thought Evan.

Mr. Rivera pushed his metal framed glasses up his nose. The metal glinted from the light. "If you two are finished, I would appreciate you guys if you could be quiet. We're here to learn. Not to discuss about your lives," said the grown man, his tone becoming threatening.

Evan and Brittney nodded, quick to shut up. The blonde female pulled her phone out and blew a bubble from her gum, and looked at Felicia to see if she was cool. Felicia gave her a plastic smile. Evan turned to face the front of the classroom as Mr. Rivera went back to pacing and lecturing.

"As I was saying..." Mr. Rivera shot a quick glare at the two. "We are talking about slavery in the U.S for this unit. To begin, throughout the 17th and 18th centuries people were kidnapped from the continent of Africa, forced into slavery in the American colonies and exploited to work as indentured servants and labor in the production of crops such as tobacco and cotton. By the mid-19th century, America's westward expansion and the abolition movement provoked a great debate over slavery that would tear the nation apart in the bloody Civil War. Though the Union victory freed the nation's four million slaves, the legacy of slavery continued to influence American history, from the Reconstruction era to the civil rights movement that emerged a century after emancipation..." The Hispanic teacher stopped, seeing pencils move as most kids were trying to take notes. 

A student from the back raised his hand, trying to make Mr. Rivera's gaze float toward his. "Sir?"

"Yes, Kai?"

Kai, more known as Senpai, smiled and asked, "Why did the Americans have to choose Africans as their choice of people to do labor? Why not another race?"

"Good question, Kai. I'd like all of you to research that for me and write two paragraphs about it. I'll be collecting that tomorrow."

Everyone groaned in unison, the sound echoing around the small room. More homework? Really? Evan already had to practice for a concert in school and out. They had literature homework that would make him answer a few questions about two texts. God, he even had math! Teachers KNEW that kids, especially teens, suck at numbers. And the day hadn't even ended yet.

"And-"

RING. RING.

The bell chimed, alerting that it was time for them to escape history and go to their next class so they could go to lunch. Evan had Earth Science next. Fun.

"Sit down, kids. The bell doesn't dismiss you. I do. I am the law here in this class," Mr. Rivera stated.

Silence followed.

Their teacher frowned, sighing. "It was a joke. Gosh, teens don't have any humor anymore. Busy with their MineChat and Minestagrams..." he grumbled. "You can go now. You homework about the question Kai asked is due tomorrow and your homework packets are due next month on the day of the test," called out Mr. Rivera as kids pushed each other to leave their class and join their friends for the next.

Evan got out first, searching for Evelyn. "Hey, Lyn Lyn!" he yelled out.

"Ev!" a voice called back. 

The black-haired boy made his way towards the lockers. Leaning against the one next to Evelyn's, he asked, "How are ya today?"

Evelyn turned her eyes to look at Evan. "Good. You?" She shifted her eyesight back to her locker as she tried pulling her workbook out.

"I mean, not all that fine since I got into a fight, argument, and a whole lot of trouble." Evan shrugged. He slightly tapped on the pale-blue eyed girl's shoulders. "Lemme try!"

"Sure. I wanna see the look on your face when you fall back on your butt," Evelyn said, giggling.

Evan rolled his eyes. "Haha, very funny." He looked at the insides of her locker, pushing a few binders to the side. Pulling out her thick workbook, he grinned. "Piece of cake. Let's go to Science."

Evelyn growled. "Next time," she muttered. "Next time, I'll embarrass you."

Evan snorted. "Try me, girl. You wouldn't be able to."

---

"Alright, students! Since we have a test on weathering, erosion, deposition, and the rock cycle next week, I would like us to use our textbooks, workbooks, and notes to review. You may work as partners, but please do try to whisper. Begin," said their Science teacher, Ms. Luelle. She sat down at her desk and began typing on her computer, probably making their test.

Evan pulled his phone out and texted Evelyn. He'd asked if they wanna work together. Without looking at the notification, she nodded. Getting up, she settled her things nest to Evan's and sat down.

Fifteen minutes of silence passed, then their teacher stood up, saying, "Line up, use the restrooms, and head off to lunch!"

Everyone made their way to the stairs and walked down, chatting in hushed voices. But when they walked into the lunch room, their voices went up louder. Evan quickly grabbed his lunch and sat down at their table, but then moved to sit somewhere else. He'd usually sit with his "buddies", but he'd gotten into a fight with them.

He sat down with the Sophmores. A girl that looked surprisingly like Alec was seated next to him.

"Hey, I'm Aly," introduced the girl. "What about you?"

Wait, wait, wait, WAIT,  thought Evan.

ALY?!

---