My Mother's Husband

I stared at the powerful and wealthy Peter Barns who looked lovingly into my mother's innocent yet gleeful eyes as they exchanged their wedding vows.

I found it very strange as to why Peter had rushed my mother into marrying him, they were only dating for four months after all. I always trusted my instincts and even though Peter and I hardly hung out I felt that he had this hidden dark side to him, a secretive side.

He was always 'on business' especially at night. My mother was not as wealthy as Peter however she had a huge farmland which she inherited from my late father.

There were a few renters that resided on the land and a lot of income was being received from them. I watched as Peter leaned forward to kiss my mother sealing the marriage and everyone applauded. The mid-fifty year old rich man seemed reasonable and kept my mother happy thus far but that still will not make me trust him.

I was now seventeen and in my last year of school. I was big enough to understand things and will make it my duty to protect my mother and our assets.

Whatever Peter's intensions are with my mother, I will not allow anything ending up in his dirty hands. I will be at war with him if I have to.

I will cut the man some slack for now and accept him in my mother's life however deep down in my heart,no man will ever take the place of my dad.

THE END