1

Gen's POV:

This last year has changed me. The mental relief of graduating high school and the focus on my well-being has finally come. I know that physically, I'm tired. But, at the same time, I want so much more in my life this time. I wanna get to know myself, I want to relax and explore! I smile to myself as I click through my computer.

I've never even had a job. I think to myself... I hardly ever had the time to go to the one place that I love most in the world: the beach. I've never even been in a relationship. I sigh reluctantly.

"How to be normal?", I type in the search bar of my computer. I press enter. Shaking my head at myself I scroll through the links.

*Carmen Calling*

My phone buzzes next to me and I pick the call up quickly.

"Hey! What's the plan?" I answer frantically. Tonight is the night, I go to my first party.

"Well. Hello to you too, gorgeous." She snickers through the phone, "I've been well, and how about yourself?", she teases.

"Carmen!!! You're seriously going to be like that?" I whine.

"Yes ma'am, until you learn how to answer the phone correctly." She giggles.

"URGH, fine....", I move the phone away from my ear and put on my biggest and fakest girly voice, "Hello, best friend, Oh, How I've missed you! How are you, babes?" I suck up to her.

"Okay, okay. Thank you. Geez, you didn't have to do all that extra stuff." Her laughs continue, then calm back down, "So, I just got intel that a cute little band would be there. It's on a beach and it starts at 8."

"Beach-wear then?" I ask.

I hear her 'mhm' hummed back at my question through my phone.

"Come over?" I ask again.

"Oh. You already know." she says sarcastically.

"Very true." I respond.

"See you in 5! Love you!" She answers rushed and then drops the call.

Hm, okay go off I guess.

I shut the laptop closed and head for my closet to figure out what bathing-suit I want.

One-piece or two-piece.

Cheeky and cute or modest and safe?

I should never be allowed to make my own decisions. I don't know what to trust.

I lay out two of my favorite ones; one of each type that bathing-suits come in. Yes, I have a lot of them. I use to surf and swim a lot when I was young with my dad...

Looking right above my dresser there was a picture of my dad and I. Him sitting cross-crossed on the sand and him holding little 7-year-old me. He really was the perfect dad. No doubt that I was in fact a daddy's girl.

But, we don't talk of him anymore. Mom became really fragile after what happened. She doesn't date, she doesn't go out... she just works her ass off. Scared of giving someone the chance of leaving her again.