T w e n t y - n i n e

Dylan's POV

Left.

Right.

Duck.

Breathe.

Repeat.

I can feel the sweat dripping from my body as I exhale deeply and quickly. My body is used to this; I've been boxing for nearly two years and to be honest I'm addicted to it.

Everything about being a boxer just riles me up. The adrenaline. The strategic thinking. The power. It's sort of like dancing actually. There's this rhythm that has been in me for so long it feels as though it will never depart.

For me, it's become more of a remedy than a profession.

"Hey, Dylan?" I recognise that voice immediately. It's Chad, the guy who works here at the gym. He knows me since I come here so frequently. "We're closing now so it's time to go."

"I didn't realise how late it had gotten," I retort whilst punching the punching bag for the last few times. A lot is going through my mind and things have been hectic since Arianna's revelation yesterday.

I wanted to call her this morning, but then I realised it is better for us to be apart during this time. I don't think I'm ready to deal with an emotional woman and face this other guy she's been having an affair with. I fear that I'll knock his teeth out.

Chad throws me a white towel once I stop, and I wipe my sweat streaked face. "Well, you've been here for hours, man. You should go eat something." His face is solemn and his voice deep. "Yeah," I sigh, putting on a fresh shirt. "You're probably right."

×××

After parking my car outside a café, I jump out of the car before closing the door and locking it. A sense of pain overwhelms me as I walk into the familiar joint, since this is where Ari and I had our first date together. It reminds me of the good times we shared.

But I'm not here to think about her. I'm doing this for myself so I can heal. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror after this and not tell myself that I'm the problem. All I want to do is forget about my shitty life.

As soon as I step over the threshold, the strong smell of coffee and cakes lingers in the air. I'm surprised to perceive that even though it's six o' clock it's basically empty inside. It's usually filled with people after dark since that's the one time most people can relax after returning from work or school.

"Good evening, sir. How may I help you?" I take a glance at the barista, and realise that I've never seen him before. The name Ryan is written on his name tag. He must be an intern. "I'd like a skinny vanilla lattè with a shot of caramel, please."

"That'll be eighteen dollars." Digging my hand into the pocket of my sweatpants, I yank out my wallet and pull out a twenty dollar bill. Ryan takes the money and places it into the cash register, handing me my change. He also gives me a receipt. "One skinny lattè with a shot of caramel coming right up!" he exclaims, taking me aback slightly. He sees my facial expression and laughs softly before cringing in embarrassment. "Sorry. Force of habit."

"I understand." I comment, nodding in complete agreement. Ryan turns around, grabs a plastic cup and begins to operate the coffee machine. It takes him a minute to get the job done and then he closes the cup with a lid. "Here you go, mister," he says with a broad smile. "Next please."

I take the warm cup from his hand and saunter to a table that's by the window. Once I've made myself comfortable, I take a sip of my lattè and that is when I hear a message notification from my phone. I take it out of my pocket, expecting it to be a message from Arianna, but I then scold myself for even thinking about her. She's probably out there with that other guy seeking comfort and validation whilst I'm here, by myself, feeling miserable. I frown when it's a message from Mom.

Come home in time for supper.

I let out a nose sigh before replying.

I'll grab a bite to eat since I'll be home late.

Okay, honey. Be safe.

"Yeah, whatever Mom." I mutter to myself whilst rolling my eyes. I love my mother, but I can't stand how overprotective she can be at times. I'm an adult now. I can look after myself just fine.

I wonder how Dean is holding up after mentioning the whole "therapy" thing to me. At first I didn't believe him at all, considering his volatile past, but I'm starting to think that maybe there is a light for everyone at the end of the tunnel.

"Sorry, is this seat taken?" Tilting my head to the side, I clear my throat when I see a young girl standing beside me. She's holding a cup of coffee in one hand and a large chocolate muffin in the other. Her brown hair is styled into a straight, very short bob, her eyes a sparkling blue colour. She's wearing a strapless red top with a black ripped jean and a killer pair of heels. I can see fishnets through her jean and her huge earrings make her look like a stripper.

Fuck, she's hot.

I'm so stunned beyond measure that I can't even remember what she said. I feel so out of place in my black sweats and grey T-shirt. My tongue suddenly feels heavy and my dick begins to harden. All that's going through my mind is how much I want to rip that jean off so she can sit on my face.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

"Can I sit here, with you?" the girl repeats, gesturing towards the vacant seat with her hand. "Er, yeah, sure." I manage to say surprisingly without stuttering. "So what's your name?"

"Ellen." she replies before sliding onto the seat and resting her coffee and muffin on the table. "And you?"

"Dylan." In an attempt to calm my nerves, I drink my lattè very slowly, checking Ellen out without making it too obvious. I really want to ask her why she chose to sit with me, but I don't want to ruin the moment. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Ellen unwraps her muffin and breaks it in half, placing one piece on a napkin. She slides it over to me, a shy smile on her face, and stares at me intensely. She looks kind of intimidating but even more beautiful. "I think you need this just as much as I do." Her smile turns into a laugh and I can't believe how cute she looks. "Thanks for your concern but I'm okay."

She arches an eyebrow, eyeing me skeptically. Her eyes drop to the muffin and as she picks it up, she leans against the table while extending her arm. I can't help but notice her gorgeous cleavage just peeking out to greet me and it's extremely sexy. "Maybe if I feed it to you, you'll change your mind."

Completely enticed by her charm and charisma, I willingly open my mouth to make it possible for her to feed me. Wow, I have to admit that the muffin tastes delicious. I'm not sure if it's because this café makes great muffins, or because Ellen fed it to me. Either way, I'm glad it ended up inside my stomach. "Woah."

"I told you you needed it." Ellen giggles before sitting properly once more.

"Yes, I did." I admit, washing down the remains of the muffin that are stuck between my teeth with some coffee. "You were right and I was wrong."

"Exactly, Dylan." She takes a large bite out of her own piece, smirking. I watch her as she takes her precious time to chew, and right after she's finished she sucks her index finger in a sultry way, turning me on. She's so different, dare I say freaky, but I like it. "There are many things I can prove right to you."

×××

Sooo, I know I've been in hiding for months (lol) but I'm back! I'll try to update every week but I'm not making any promises . . .😂
And what do y'all think about Ellen? Should she stay or go?
Lemme know, my darlings😘❤

Please vote and comment.😇