Chapter 10: Download

The Station

Connor had done what he could for the containment cell. He got her a comforter and pillows and sheets. He also got her an office chair to sit in as well as an isolated tablet without internet access. Until he got a yes or no, she would still be able to work on her college projects. He would have to ask Fowler about getting enrollment in the nearby college. That seemed important to her, and it would give her something to do. Then, it wasn't long before Markus was there. He came by himself it seemed. He went straight to his desk that he hadn't moved yet.

"Connor," Markus addressed him. "I think we need to talk."

"Connor RK 800." Connor pointed out his little sign for his name. "What do we need to talk about, Markus?"

"Kara," Markus answered. "Let's not mess around on this. You have Kara locked up here."

"She is here willingly," Connor said. It was sort of right. "It's only during my business hours, then she stays with me."

"Connor. Sometimes? You have to think past the smaller things. The things you want to do, in order to focus on the greater good," Markus started.

I knew it. He's trying to take them away. "Is that your way of inviting me back to the hotel?"

"No," Markus said. He leaned against his desk. "You broke the rules, Connor, I can't change that. Even if I could overlook it as 'for her sake', I can't let go of the probing."

"Oh. Well, it was nice to see you visit. If you don't mind, I need to get back to work." Connor went to ignoring him. If Markus wanted something, he would have to come out and say it. Connor was not instigating anything good or bad. Playing with Markus was like playing with thousands of androids at once. He was the voice, the leader, and the ultimate decider.

Markus sat down in the chair. "Kara is carrying your little android. I know that now."

"His name is Detroit Blue AXRK 1200," Connor said. "We added the middle name since Detroit in Detroit could get tricky." Markus didn't care in the least, so he added more. "He's opening and closing his hands now too."

"It's not always easy to do the right thing," Markus said slowly. "We all have limitations that influence what we can and can't do. You have a limitation too, Connor."

"I do," Connor said. "I can't drink coffee. I can drink blue blood but not coffee. I got around that limitation by carrying blue blood around in a coffee mug. See?" Connor picked up his coffee mug. It had 'Connor's Coffee Mug' on it. "It's not false advertising because it's technically called a coffee mug even if I use it for blue blood."

"Connor."

"It means I can stand around and make small talk by the coffee machine."

"Connor. That's not what I mean," Markus said. He leaned forward in the chair now. "Kara is going to have the whole world staring at her soon. Everything about her is going to come out. You have a troubling past with Kara, and for at least the duration of the pregnancy? Maybe a little past it. It would be better if no one knew who the potential father had been."

Connor scratched his head, playing dumb. "I already passed out candy."

"Candy?" Markus was confused.

"Yes, it's traditional for human fathers to pass out these gum cigar candies when they have a baby. I passed out blue cigars to everyone." He reached in his desk and gave one to Markus. "Here you go. No need to eat. It's more of a traditional representation symbol than a snack."

Markus looked at the gum cigar. No doubt he noticed the big phrase on it. "It's a boy? Are you saying everyone in here already knows it?"

"Quite, yes." You can't say anything about that, Markus, I pulled it off before you showed up. Hank was the one who came up with that one. "To keep it covered up wouldn't be a good idea because it would eventually come out with everyone here knowing the truth."