Chapter 1: the twin thing

It happened on Tuesday the 6th of June 2006, also known as 6/6/06. On that day 5 sets of twins were born at exactly 6:66pm. All of these births were over 6 weeks early. It is prophesied that they will grow to have special abilities-

The TV clicked off. "Why are you always watching that damn recording from years ago?" A middle-aged woman, with bright pink curlers in her hair, shrieked as she walked around to face the young girl ( no older than 6 or 7) who was sat on the tatty marroon sofa facing the crt tv that now had a black screen. She curled her messy golden brown hair around her finger whilst the woman continued to complain, before she got distracted by another group of children running past the large oak dining table in the centre of the conjoined room, which had flaking yellow wallpaper, with a football. She chased after them, yelling frantically, as they ran outside into the garden.

When she had returned to the living room, the television was on again and the same reporter spoke in the same monotone voice. The woman dropped herself into the chair next to the girl and sighed. "Why are you so fascinated with that tape anyway?" she asked, turning to the girl. She shrugged, she rarely spoke to anyone but she always made it clear she understood.

They said it was something to do with past traumas but she didn't really believe it. She was also never given a name at birth, she had arrived at the orphanage alone, without a note.  This could have also been a reason she didn't talk much. When she arrived at the orphanage, she was given the name Macen but she was known as Macy. Her name sounded as made up as her. This was rather fitting as no one really knew where she had come from.

After watching the tape the first time, Macy had felt a connection with the story, maybe it was because she was found on the 6th of June 2006 - meaning she had always celebrated her birthday on the 6th - or maybe it was just that she wanted it to be true because she had never fitted in with the other children in the orphanage. Unlike the others, Macy had never really liked a show, toy or book. She preferred to be on her own and find her own entertainment, usually a type of painting, away from the others. She was very distant compared to everyone else her age. This led her to believe the news story was true and was about herself even more. Although, she had no real evidence; she was convinced that she had a twin out there somewhere.

After a while of sitting in silence, the woman asked, once again, in a tone that was sympathetic but had a hint of frustration. "So, why this tape, what's the relevance?" Macy simply rewinded it back to the part where the reporter said the day she was born and nodded to the tv. The woman's eyes darted towards the tv and concentrated on the show.

After a while, the girl paused it and reset the tape to the start before taking it out if the VHS player. This was the first time the woman had paid any attention to the actual story although she had recorded it, just like she had for almost every other child's birthday or arrival day.

"Interesting, " she hummed, "but I still don't understand why you believe in that." She sighed and pushed herself forward as if she was about to get up when Macy piped up, in a quiet and shy voice, "Miss Morgan?"

Miss Morgan, turned to face her once again as Macy tried to explain, "I- I guess it jus-st feels right." she stuttered. That was the most Macy had said before the age of 7. After, she spoke more and more and had almost forgotten about the whole twin thing.

By the time that she was 13, Macy was just as confident as any other teenager. And, maybe even more confident.