Chapter Sixteen -- Bruises and Malnutrition

The kitchen was small and cramped, with a small wooden table and chairs in the middle. Storm sat down, rubbing his face. He hadn't slept well since the punishment had started.

"Are you all right, Harry, dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked in a falsely concerned tone, bustling over to the table with a tray of eggs, sausage, and toast. "Sit," she added icily to the three boys, who quickly did as told.

"Just tired, Mrs. Weasley," Storm sighed. "I haven't gotten much sleep since..." he trailed off.

"Since when, dear?" the woman asked, dishing eggs onto their plates. Storm noticed that the three boys got much less than he did.

Storm gave her a frown. "Mrs. Weasley, I won't be able to eat that much. My stomach won't handle it."

"Why not, dear?" Mrs. Weasley questioned.

"I was malnourished." Mrs. Weasley gasped, but Storm could tell her shock was fake. "Children who are malnourished can't eat a lot right off the bat -- to be healthy, they have to eat a little bit more each meal until they're able to stomach a healthy amount."

"What an intelligent child you are," Mrs. Weasley said concernedly as she reluctantly took Storm's eggs back. "What do you suggest-"

"A piece of toast. Greasy foods aren't recommended," Storm said calmly.

Mrs. Weasley gave him two pieces of toast. She gave the three boys one piece of toast and some sausage -- as if they weren't being malnourished. Storm cast them a glance, and the three boys only ate a piece of toast each, throwing the rest away while their mother's back was turned.

While Storm was nibbling at the toast, a familiar red-headed girl appeared in the kitchen, gave a small squeal when she saw Storm and rushed out again.

The girl was a good actor.

"Ginny," Ron murmured in an undertone to Storm, glancing at Mrs. Weasley. Storm knew it was for the benefit of her. "My sister. She's been talking about you all summer."

"Yeah, she'll be wanting your autograph, Harry," Fred muttered bitterly, and flinched when his mother glared at him.

Storm groaned, and Mrs. Weasley gave him an alarmed look. "She and half the girls in school! And some the boys," he added, remembering that there were some homosexual boys there, too. "Ginny and the rest of the girls will be disappointed."

"Whatever for?" Mrs. Weasley asked, furious behind her facade of confusion.

"I'm gay, Mrs. Weasley," Storm told her, secretly enjoying her fury and helplessness.

"Oh." Mrs. Weasley blinked a moment before going back to the stove, making more eggs and sausage -- probably for Percy and Ginny.

"You're... you're not disgusted?" Storm asked tentatively, as if he was insecure about his sexuality.

"No, no of course not!" Mrs. Weasley said quickly. Storm could tell she wasn't disgusted, but she was angry.

Storm relaxed. "Thank you. Some people would be." If his relatives found out...

"Hmm." Mrs. Weasley pursed her lips, probably hoping she looked concerned and angry on his behalf -- but really, she looked constipated. Storm stifled a snicker.

Fred and George stood up when Storm had finished his toast and instantly swayed, almost falling over. Storm and Ron quickly caught them before they could.

"Mrs. Weasley, they're exhausted," Storm said anxiously. "Is it all right if we all go to bed?"

"You're welcome to sleep, Harry," Mrs. Weasley said sweetly, "but it's their own fault they've been up all night-"

"They told me they hadn't been able to sleep at all since I wouldn't answer their letters!" Storm forced himself to sound desperate and concerned instead of angry. "Please, Mrs. Weasley!"

Making a noise like an angry cat, which Mrs. Weasley probably thought Storm couldn't hear (he loved his vampire hearing), she pretended to relent. "All right. You can all go to bed. You will all be awake for lunch!" she added sharply.

Storm bit back a response about malnutrition and dragged Fred up the stairs, followed by Ron, who was helping George. They dropped the twins into their beds and continued on up the stairs.

Ron's room was on the floor just below the attic, and while it was bigger than the cupboard, it was still small. It was also covered with posters of Ron's Quidditch team, the Chudley Cannons. They looked new -- probably because Mrs. Weasley didn't want Storm to know his friend was being abused.

"I didn't know that bit about malnourished kids," Ron said quietly as he sat down on the bed in the corner, which looked new as well. Storm sat down on the other bed, eyeing him concernedly. "What else can't they eat?"

Realizing the boy needed a distraction from his pain, Storm began telling him about the diet he should be eating.

-------------------------

Storm didn't know how exhausted he was until he was being woken by Ron for dinner.

"Why didn't she wake me up for lunch?" Storm groaned as he stretched. He accidentally brushed Ron's shoulder, and the boy flinched. "What is it?"

"N-nothing," Ron muttered, looking down.

"Lion." Storm spoke quietly. Ron sighed and, still without meeting Storm's gaze, moved his sleeved down.

A large purple-and-black bruise covered the boy's shoulder. It looked as if Ron's arm was dislocated, as well.

"Percy or your mother?" Storm asked calmly as he gently began checking to see if it was dislocated.

Ron stared at him. "How'd you know Percy-"

"I didn't, I guessed."

"It... it was Percy," Ron mumbled. He let out a strangled yelp when Storm jerked his arm back into place. He squinted, holding back tears, and then rasped, "Wanted... wanted to wake you up for lunch, but Mum said no, and Percy..." He stopped.

"Are Fred and George still asleep?" Storm asked, seething silently as he got up. "Don't put your sleeve back up," he warned as Ron made to hide the bruise. He went over to his trunk as Ron answered.

"Uh... yeah," Ron replied nervously. "I was supposed to wake them up, too, but they wouldn't. They're out cold."

"That's what happens when you don't eat or sleep properly for a month and a half," Storm growled, pulling a salve from his things. "Dab this over your bruise," he told Ron, handing him the container. "It'll remove it."

Ron blanched. "But if Mum doesn't see it-"

"Did she see it after Percy hit you?" Storm asked.

"N-no..."

"Then let her think it didn't bruise. Is dinner ready?"

"What?" Ron blinked at him. "Oh! Yeah. It's a feast," he added bitterly. "Wish I could eat."

"Nothing greasy, fatty, or sugary," Storm warned.

"Yeah, I remember your lesson," Ron sighed as he dabbed the salve onto his bruise. It disappeared a second later. "Thanks. Can I use it on my legs and arms, too?" Then he turned white, as if he hadn't wanted Storm to know that.

Storm didn't make a big deal out of it, only pulling Ron into a gentle hug so that he didn't hurt the boy. "Yes, but tonight," he said as he released him. "It'll take a while to get all the bruises removed, and you don't want your mother to be suspicious."

Ron had blushed at the hug, and now he smiled. "Yeah, no, I don't. Thanks again."

"Of course, Lion. My pleasure."