Chapter 2: Explorer

It's time for me to explore. I needed to find the exit after all. I choose to walk in a straight line from where I'm facing, that'll be a good start. This cavern looks devoid of life, but one can never be too sure. There may be hostiles hiding behind any corner, so I must go from here very carefully. My feet tapped across the icy floor creates a sound that echoes throughout the cavern. While walking, I noticed that the floor was littered with random weapons that got stuck in the ice, from swords to maces. It may seem tempting to grab one, but I don't want to waste any more energy getting those. These claws will have to make do.

There's also these dark lumps of ice across the floor. I try to inspect one as I close by. Wait... why does this shape look so vaguely familiar. I look to the side and found... a human figure staring back at me.

I fell on my back in fright only to land on another one. I quickly stayed clear from that one too. These lumps are not just ice... there are human beings trapped inside.

But... they don't look to be alive even if the ice melt and free them. Their bodies are charred black, like they were burned alive then frozen until the ice seals them. Adding the scattered weapons into the picture, I realize something...

This place may be a battlefield once before and I'm standing in the aftermath of it. They must be against a great foe for sending these many men into a cave. Was there a monster out there that strong enough to take out these many men?

rumble rumble

While thinking so, the cave started rumbling like a miniature earthquake passing through. I need to get out of here, and fast. That looks like a tunnel that went deeper into the cave. I change to that direction.

I started walking faster after feeling a few more of those rumbles. But, I noticed that it gets darker the closer I am to it. This may spell trouble, but I had no choice in the matter. It's either go there or chance staying here any longer for another exit.

Then the walk turns to jog, then a sprint. The rumbling didn't stop, in fact, it feels like this place gonna come down anytime soon! I don't fancy trapping myself in here with all those corpses, so I ran, only because I need to sidestep things on my way that I did not turn this into full-on sprint. I notice I'm quite agile, maneuvering the many obstacles along the way.

The darkness is getting worse. At this rate, I can't see much more than a few feet in front of me. But I push on until finally, I got through the tunnel.

Passing through the tunnel, I feel this weird chilling sensation across my body, like passing through a cold waterfall. The rumbling seems to stop, making me sneak a look at my back only to make me stop at my track.

The entrance to the huge cavern is gone.

Instead, just a solid wall took its place. Adding that to the list of unexplainable things, I continue my way through the tunnel. The tunnel continues to create this eerie feeling of someone watching you. I decide to stick close to the wall. As I walk, the tunnel splits into two, I take the right path. Then it splits into three, I take the middle. Then opens up into a spacious space for no reason into the next tunnel. In fact, where am I going? I may be going in circles for all I know. Should I start marking the walls?

As I am thinking, a disgusting smell of rotten flesh enters my snout. There's also a grotesque sound coming from in front of the tunnel I'm currently in prompting me to walk cautiously. This is it, another living being. Is it a creature that lives here, or another one that is lost too? Are they sentient like me?

The tunnel opened up into a room, then splits to the sides are other tunnels. But in the middle of the room is the source of both the smell and the sound. It seems like I'm looking at the back of a very huge mole-like creature, and it looks like it's feeding on something. Wait... that's... is it feeding on one of its kind?

Then the worst happens that probably will haunt my dreams, it turned it's face to me slowly.That mouth still hanging bits of flesh, with blood splattering all over its body.

Naturally, I bolt to the left tunnel.

No way I'm fighting that horror. Can't we talk this through? Seems not, since it screeches and starts chasing after me. I don't care where I'm going, I need to escape that thing. I dart into multiple tunnels at random, hoping for the best. Dammit, luck seems not on my side, I run into a dead end. Turning back, the mole is already blocking the way. It seems confident that it finally got its prey. No way out of this except to fight.

I ready a fighting stance.

I hold my arm in a defensive manner and another one preparing a strike. Spacing my legs so that I can sidestep easily. I don't know how do I know this. But it brings me comfort that I am prepared to protect myself when the worst comes.

And it comes, the mole starts lunging for me, I sidestep and launch a kick at it's hide, sending it flying. With a loud crash, it lands on the wall hard, creating a dent. Woah, am I that strong? Seems like that is not enough, it right itself and goes for the second lunge. I sidestep again and send another kick in its direction. But this time, instead of sending it flying, it latches onto my leg! Argh! it starts biting! Fine then, if you don't want to kiss the wall I'll make you.

I start slamming the mole against the wall. After a few times, it finally let go. I send another kick sending it far just for good measure. It seems angry, as it screeches again and digs itself in the ground. I don't think that's the end of it. My hunch comes true when I feel something moving beneath my feet, prompting me to move aside. The mole bursts from the ground from where I stood a moment ago. It doesn't end its assault there though. I cross my arms to shield myself with a plan in mind. As it latches itself to my arm, I take this chance to retaliate. I stab it on the head with my claws.

The claws successfully puncture through, killing it.

*Huff* my first kill. I tore back my claws from its head. I look at myself, it seems like I received a minor injury. That could've gone much smoother, but maybe I'll get better in time.