O

It was almost midnight when the program ended. Adam was expecting that their alumni would invite them to continue the celebration in a nearby club since it was a Friday night, but their company, their wives and girlfriends, were tired and wanted to go home.

After cleaning up the gallery room, the boys retired to their bedrooms to rest.

Adam has stripped down to his boxers and thrown himself into his bed when the thought of Zach suddenly crossed his mind. He checked his phone and saw it was a minute past one o'clock. He was certain that, at that hour, Zach was already sound asleep. But a part of him hoped for the opposite.

He picked up his clothes which were scattered on the floor and hurriedly worn them. Then, he went down the darkened stairs of the sleeping house. No one noticed him drive away in the middle of the night carrying a bottle of sparkling wine, two flutes, a pack of chips, and some remaining slices of cheese.

A lone room in the apartment building was lit when Adam arrived. He hoped that it was Zach's. He pulled out his phone and called him. A smile formed in his lips when Zach answered. This smile, however, was short-lived. Instead of saying "hello," Zach greeted him with a yawn.

"Sorry, Zach. Did I wake you up?"

"No, no, I was only about to sleep," Zach answered and then yawned again.

He smiled again at this news. There was some hope to execute his plan. But then his eyebrows furrowed. Knowing that his friend would normally sleep early, it was odd that he was still awake.

He was about to ask him why he was only heading to bed now, but Zach threw him a question first: "Is the event done already?"

"Yes." His face relaxed and his smile returned as he remembered the satisfied faces of his guests, most especially the congratulatory remarks said to him by the previous Alphas. "It was very successful, and that's all because of you, Zach."

"Me? I only helped you in conceptualizing the event. The execution was all yours."

Adam was quick to refute his remark. "But a good execution is nothing if the concept is trash. That event was your brainchild. You deserve the credit for its success."

There was a lull while he waited for him to say something.

"Is your room facing the street?" he asked after a while.

"Y-Yes?"

Adam smiled. It was indeed Zach's room. "Look outside your window."

A figure drew the curtains and peeked. Adam raised his left hand holding the wine bottle and the glasses. Zach shortly met him outside the apartment building wearing only a white t-shirt and plaid black and white boxer shorts. Adam smiled at the sight of his friend in that simple clothing. He was used to seeing him in their school uniform and seeing him wearing only pambahay amused him.

"It's already late, Adam," Zach said as he scratched his eyes.

"I wanted to celebrate the success of the event with the person who conceptualized the whole thing," he said with glee and full of energy, unaffected by the gloomy greeting of his friend. "And it can't wait 'til tomorrow," he added. "I can't wait 'til tomorrow."

Adam knew that Zach would disapprove of the idea since it was already past his curfew, but he had to see him; he had to do something, or else his guilt would not allow him to sleep.

"Shall we celebrate in your room?" he pursued when Zach did not say anything.

"We can't... My room is a... it's a mess."

The rejection made Adam feel a bit weary. He was not sure if Zach was displeased with his presence or if he was simply tired. He could also be both displeased and tired.