Chapter 11

Margrethe laid in her bed in the cold and lonely cabin. She was in a deep sleep, the only place she could get away from her dark thoughts. She awoke when she felt a sudden presence in the room, she jerked up to find three strange men surrounding her.  "Who are you?! Go away!"  She was trembling when one of them moved to sit on the edge of her bed. He pulled pulled out a knife and brought it to her cheek. She breathed heavily as she shot out of her bed, thinking she had a chance, she ran for the door. She didn't get very far when there was a knife plunged into her backside and another into her shoulder. She turned and her lifeless body fell to the ground.  They picked her up and carried her down to the streets of Kattegat, people watched in shock of the sight. Hvitserk wondered what the commotion was, when he walked up he couldn't believe his eyes he didn't want to believe them.    "WHAT HAPPENED?! WHAT DID YOU DO?!"  He put his hands on either side of her cold face and tried to control his emotions.  "What Did You Do?!"          "I only followed the orders of my king." The man said smugly.  They pushed Hvitserk back and continued on their way, walking into the great hall the man shouted  "Your proof my king."        "Ah, you were quick, good," Ivar walked up to her body and enjoyed the sight  "One less enemy I have to worry about. Through her into bay, what more does she deserve?"  His evil laugh echoed in the hall. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lir put her son in is day clothes, trying to forget about her situation. He was getting so big, it was hard to carry him everywhere like she wanted to.  "My queen," her servant came rushing in "you shouldn't be lifting him. Strain could harm your new baby." She took Leif out of his mothers arms. "Thank you for your concern Katla, you are always so good to me." She gave a quick fake smile before turning back around.  "My queen, if I may ask, you seem troubled, what is bothering you?"    "Oh um, it is nothing." She gave a nervous laugh.     "My queen please, I'm here."   Lir walked to sit on her bed, she motioned with her hand for Katla to join her.    She kept her eyes on the ground  "I-it is Ivar. He is crazy, I don't believe that I can trust him anymore."     
  "Why, what has he done to you?" Katla's voice was sweet and soft.
"He-he's just unkind and-and cruel.....he's not the man I fell in love with, all those years ago." She didn't seem ashamed to admit.   
"What exactly do you mean?" Katla put her hand on Lír's shoulder trying to be sympathetic. Lír looked into he eyes and suddenly realized what she was doing.  "I-I'm sorry I shouldn't be telling you these things." She picked Leif up and left the room while still shaking.

------------------Hours Later---------------------

Yet another celebration was taking place in Kattegat. It was a send-off for Harald Finehair before he returned to England for raiding.

The king sat on his throne with his son in his lap, bouncing him up and down, making him laugh. It was a rare sight, Lír enjoyed it. It had been so long since she had seen Ivar happy for a good reason.   "Wife stop staring, come here." Lír sat on the edge of his throne, looking uncomfortable. Ivar put his arm around his wife's waist and kisses her cheek then kissed his sons nose making them all laugh. They hadn't been this happy in a long time.

Hvitserk glared at his brother from a far table. Hating him with every ounce of his body. Eventually Ivar noticed,  "Hvitserk! What is wrong?". Lír turned around and her smile instantly dropped. He was drunk,  angry, and sad. She hated to see him like that.    "You know what is wrong!" He stumbled toward his brother. Ivar handed Leif to his wife and pushed them off. He leaned down to Ivar's face "Margrethe is dead!"
Lír looked to her husband in shock.   "Ivar-"   "Hush, " He looked deep into Hvitserk's eyes. "Be very careful what you say about me Hvitserk-"  
"Or what, will you kill me next, what about my child?"     "Hvitserk!" Lír tried to quiet him.   
"Why do you act Lír, we all know the truth. Why not tell everyone?" Hvitserk turned around to the crowd behind them.  "ENOUGH! Guards take him outside, he's had too much to drink!"  Ivar was beaming with anger.

Lír couldn't believe everything she just heard, she took her son and left to go back to her room. Leif was put in his crib while his mother paced around the room trying to come with with some solution to this horrible situation. Ivar entered an sat on the bed staring at her for many moments before saying anything.

"Lagertha, Björn, and Ubbe have made an alliance with a Saxon king... We need alliances don't you think Lír."
"Yes, Ivar we need alliances." She couldn't look at him.
"Good, good. I am sending Hvitserk away to find one in King Olaf." She nodded in agreement.
"I didn't expect you to agree to that".
"No Ivar, I agree. With everything going on, it is best."
"I'm glad you realize that." He gave that evil smile she hated and returned to the celebration.  
Lír took a deep breath and went back out.   "Katla, go watch Leif please. I need to clear my head."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hvitserk sat in his cabin with his face in his hands, hating himself for everything he'd done in the last months. There was a knock at the door that he didn't want to answer.
"Go away!"

"No, open the door Hvitserk." Lír's sweet voice rang from the other side.
He couldn't deny her. He took a deep breath and answered.

"May I come in?" She motioned with her hand.  He nodded, she sat on his bed.

"How are you, how is the baby?"

"Hvitserk, there at bigger thing to speak about."

"I disagree-"      "Hvitserk, we are fine."
She had to ashure him.

"I am sorry about Margrethe, I know you loved her-"    
  "I didn't love her, but she woman I do love is married, so I kept her by my side."  Lír let out a loud sigh. "I am sick of this."
"Sick of what?" He knew exaxtly what she meant, he just wanted to hear her say it.
"I am sick of hearing that! That you love me, that Ivar doesn't love me! Of being reminded that I cheated on my husband and that he did the same! I'm sick of the truth!"

"The truth? And what exactly is the truth Lír?!  I know it, you know it, just say it!"

"Hvitserk-"            "Just say it."

Lír hated this moment in time more than any other. All because she couldn't deny her feelings anymore. Tears fell from her eyes as she struggled to say the words, all that came out was a whisper.

"I love you..."