The Last Performance Chapter 12

" What is Magic? " Daniel asks as the show begins. " Magic is Deception. " He looks into the camera as he talks. " But deception designed to delight, to entertain, to inspire. " 

" It's about belief. " The camera falls onto Merritt. 

" Faith. " Henley adds. 

" Trust. " I smile softly. 

" Without those qualities, magic, as an art form would no longer exist. " The screen zooms in on Merritt. 

" But what happens if these qualities are not used for their higher purpose? " I ask. 

" Instead they're used to cheat, lie. " Henley says slowly. 

" For personal gain or for greed. " Daniel takes the screen again. " Then it's no longer magic. " 

Merritt pops in again. " It's a crime. " 

Then Henley. " So tonight, for our final act, "

" You're gonna help us set a few things right. " The camera turns off on us all as I finish talking. 

We walk towards the elevator and get in. 

" Daniel? " Merritt looks at Daniel. 

" Yeah? " Daniel leans against the wall. 

" As our, let's call it, year of living dangerously comes to a close, in a rare moment of vulnerability, I'd like to express a sediment to you about our relationship. " 

I smile in amusement. 

" Okay. " Daniel nods. 

" Well when I first met you, I thought you were kind of a....jerk. " 

I smile and bite my lip to stop the laugh. " And? " I ask after he doesn't talk after a few minutes. Merritt looks between me Daniel. 

" No, that's it. " 

" That's very nice. " Daniel says. 

" Yeah. " Merritt smiles. 

" I'm touched. " I smile at Daniel. 

" Yeah. Just from the heart. " Merritt puts his hands on his heart. 

" Well, I didn't tell you where I was touched. " Daniel straightens his posture a bit. 

" Oh you. " Henley and I laugh at Merritt and Daniel. " Oh gosh. " I sigh. " What are we gonna do when this is over? " 

" We're on our own. " Daniel shrugs. " Our instructions run out after the show. " 

" Even if there is no ' Eye, ' if we were completely played and we spend the next 20 years in jail, then I just want to say that...." Henley gets cut off by Daniel. 

" I know. Me too. " 

Merritt raises his hand up. " Little too sentimental for me. " 

We get out of the elevator. I follow the three out onto the huge stage on the roof where the lights are shooting everywhere. 

" Thank you for the magic. " I yell. 

" And thank you for being such an incredible and dedicated audience. " Henley waves. 

" Unfortunately, like all good things, it must come to an end. " Merritt sighs. 

" So we would like to start our show tonight, by saying goodbye. " Daniel looks around the crowd. 

" All we wanted was to bring the world to a magic show. And thereby, bring a little magic back to the world. " I gesture around to the crowd. 

" This has been one heck of a ride for all of us. " Merritt smiles.

" But it's time for us to disappear. " Henley says softly. 

" Good Night, New York. " Daniel closes. " And thank you for believing in us. " 

We run off the side of the building, leaving money to cover us as we fall down to the next roof. We stop in front of a huge screen, playing the news. I smile as I read it. The FBI lost us. We look around at all the bright, big screens. Everywhere I turn, there's either pictures of us on the screen or videos of the fake money falling down. 

We did it.