02 | BATTLE LINES DRAWN

— BATTLE LINES DRAWN

❝ All the attention on fucking Tori

All the attention on fucking Tori.

★ ★ ★

EDEN ROSARIO WAS JEALOUS. There on The Black Box Theatre stage stood Tori Vega, rehearsing the role of Elphaba. Whilst a sickly sweet smile had been permanently painted across her caramel complexion throughout the never-ending rehearsal - a caustic concoction of envy and acrimony was brewing in the pit of her stomach. As much as the sprightly Latina had insisted to her fellow Hollywood Arts students that she was indeed okay with losing her starring role, behind her endowed facade was a bitter reluctance to forgive and forget.

Losing the lead role in her favourite musical to Tori was the final nail in the coffin for Eden - it merely confirmed her disdain for the chirpy, bright-eyed starlet. You see, Tori Vega had everything that Eden Rosario had ever wanted; two loving parents, a beautiful home in the Hollywood Hills, friends who blindly adored her, recognition for her talent and now her role in the musical. It aggravated her immensely that Tori had seemingly had such an easy time since joining Hollywood Arts, whilst she herself had fought relentlessly to keep her place at the prestigious academy. In fact, the cinnamon-eyed spitfire was utterly exasperated that Tori had been dealt such an idealistic card in life - because, well, she hadn't.

Of course, her fellow Hollywood Arts students were oblivious to both her flourishing hatred for Tori and her unfortunate personal circumstances. Whilst she embraced her Mexican heritage with open arms, Eden struggled to accept herself as a whole. The amber-eyed brunette was ashamed of where she had come from, and she feared that her friends would be ashamed too. So, she had created a completely new narrative for herself upon enrolling at the performing arts establishment; she was no longer Eden Rosario from Northridge - the younger sister of the leader of the Northridge 13 and the daughter of a murderer, she was Eden Rosario from The Hills - the daughter of a corporate lawyer and a dentist to the stars.

"So when the music begins, you want both spotlights on Tori," Sikowitz's deep, bellowing voice instructed, disrupting Eden's spiteful daydream. As the outrageous, balding acting teacher sipped on his coconut milk, his focused, beady eyes fixated on the olive-skinned virago. Her arms were folded tightly - in a defensive manner - across her chest as she slouched backwards in the uncomfortable, metal chair.

"You should make notes on your script about the lighting changes during each scene," Sinjin advised her, a chipper tone to his voice. As he spoke, he leaned forward from the row behind, startling the envious Latina who was unaware of his company. His fair face hovered just millimetres from Eden's as his tight, straw-like curls brushed against her pierced ear. Eden found his presence unsettling; his odd remarks, strange behaviour and lingering essence of baby powder made her uncomfortable - a rare sensation for someone who carried themselves with so much poise.