PROLOGUE.

EDIT 29/8/22: this chapter is
currently being revised! stay tuned! (undone)

____________________

The night's aura was of a blue vivid eerie glimpse, with owls howling from nearby trees and lurking within the shadows. It was as if people who passed by such a dimmed corner were being watched by unneeded eyes, pupils following every step, every tone they moved and spoke. Clearly, this was no place for the children and weak-minded. Most who boast about walking these streets say the hue resembles the deep and dark ocean. Mysterious, hideous looking, hard to even let out a shakey breath on, yet so alone, and so quiet. Like the type of quiet when you down your head against the sea's waters. Though, waves crashing up and down with each other were not heard. Nor when the sea meets the shore, or when your hands glided upon the waters on a boat. All she heard was her shoes meeting the ground step by step, clicking as if she owned the place, and the wind against her hair, whispering through her ears.

Her hair was of a purple cool with a black ribbon tied on one of her strands; forming a mini braid, in the daytime, it was noticeable that it was a lighter shade than most colours. Some may even question whether if it was even purple at all to begin with. While it rested on her shoulders calmly, and the way her hair was styled to look more chic and cutesy, the Detective was anything but. Standing tall, posture straight, walking as if she had no time left to lose, Kyoko Kirigiri, dubbed as the best Best Detective in the world— she'd say that bit was more of a stretch, however— headed herself to her Agency, where the Government has officially signed her in after numerous cases she has participated, or how they word, starred in. Most even began to compare her with Sherlock Holmes from the works of Arthur Conan Doyle. Thus, the responsibilities within her surroundings grew.

Being the best, though, felt like the biggest oxymoron there is. Kyoko knew she was not satisfied just yet from where she was standing currently. She knew the feeling was selfish, as not many people could be given so many opportunities at her age, or even younger. But selfishness was a human trait, everyone ends up being the same. Or at least in her point of view. Maybe it was the cause of Despair, or maybe she hasn't even eaten proper dinner, maybe she ate the wrong dinner at that! Or maybe she was just... pitifully touch-starved. It was just a question that remained unanswered. Even Makoto Naegi wouldn't be able to form an answer for that. Oh, Naegi... Kyoko may never be able to face him again. Let alone, his grave. He was her motivation, her hope, and someone who was always by her side when she wasn't getting any better. And with him gone, it was as if she depended on him so much that she relapsed to her old ways again. Tragic and unfair.

It wasn't unusual for her thoughts to backtrack and get sentimental easily though. It happens when Kyoko thinks deeply over little things. Slowly shaking her head from such, the detective closes her eyes with her right hand reaching for the door handle. Once she blinked them back open again, the Detective was already standing her feet on the main entrance's floor. As she continued walking in, she walks parallels with her subordinate, Shuichi Saihara. Shuichi bore dark blue hair, resembling the night hue and his gambogeish grey eyes looked nervous, unusually more nervous and attentive than usual. When it landed on Kyoko's eyes, the glance became more softer. They weren't as close to the point where you could call each other good friends and have regular phone-calls with, but the type of close where you could depend on each other with office work. She gives him a small wave as a greeting.

"G—good Evening, Miss Kirigiri." Said the young detective, beginning the conversation with a slight stutter. However, she did not mind it. Shuichi mentioned once that there were often times where he stutters out of habit. Kyoko has always noted that he was a better person with better morals than her, and that with more experience, he could be even better than his current position. To be fair though, Saihara's position is already one that most are not able to instantly grab on. For Hope's sake, he was also assigned personally by the Government at this agency. With his talent at a young age and his perseverance, Kyoko thinks he does deserve a place to be her subordinate.