Prologue

"Nakuyu!" I hear Abi call me using my middle name.

I turn away from the handsome man in front of me and absently keep setting the patio. Sweat drips from his forehead and arms as he works, making him shimmer in the morning sun.

She was the only one except for my sister who didn't call me by my Christian name.

"Abijah."

"Still starting at that guy, huh? You know you have a better chance at getting in his pants if you actually talk to him." She points out, unstacking the set of black chairs.

"I don't want to get in his pants. I just think he's cute."

Hot, actually but she'll never drop it if I say that.

Mans was literally chocolate sin, the kind of dark skin you see on models. His body toned and lean, probably from the manual labor he did for work.

"Mmm hmm."

"Grace, you got patio today with Chris, and Abi you got the awning and the bar." Floor manger tells us as we finish setting up, restaurant.

I nod at her and continue setting placements and drink menus on each table, restaurant opened at 12 and we had 15 more minutes to set up.

I sneak one last glance at hot guy working opposite the restaurant and his eyes connect with mine for a second. I quickly avert my gaze before rushing to help set up inside.

He was the type of guy that was out of my league, the type of guy who would immediately go for the type of girl Abi was.

I look at my beautiful friend. She didn't even have to try.

She was slim, light brown skin, 5'6", a beautiful face that looked flawless without a touch of makeup. Boys literally chased after her.

Which was one reason I was happy watching him from a far, because most guys immediately gravitate to her. I was not ready to lose the illusion that I might have a chance.

He was too handsome not to fantasize about but he had to have flaws as a result of his aesthetic beauty.

Maybe he was cocky or arrogant, rude even. He just couldn't be perfect.

It was better for me to fantasize. In my head, I already claimed him as husband number two. Winston Duke, M'baku, was obviously husband number one.

I chuckle softly at the absurd thought.

"Excuse me." A soft deep voice comes from in front of me.

"Hi, I-uhh..." I stutter as I feel my entire face heat up.

He was standing right in front of me, looking confused and so damn fine.

"Uh, Hi. Are you looking for something?"

"Yeah, I caught you staring and I thought you were, uh... really cute."

My heart stops and I forget how to breathe.

Shit!

"I'm sorry?" I say softly confused and embarrassed.

"Nah my fault. I- Um, I was just wondering who you are?" He asks a little flustered but still full of confidence.

"Uh, I'm a server here. You work on the site across the street right?"

"Yeah, summer job."

"Can I get your number?" My heart stops.

There's no way he just asked me for my number. I look like a boy in these black men's dress shirt with trousers you match. The only color on our uniforms were the solid green ties we wore.