Happy Ending

I rushed into the hall fixing my tux. It wasn’t the first time I was late for an important event. Everyone knew that being late was second nature for me. Smooth music was being played and couples danced on the floor. Damn it, Nicole’s gonna kill me, I thought.

I spotted Nicole in the crowd dancing with some dude. 

“Looks like she got a date after all.” I murmured.

Deciding against disturbing her now and face her wrath, I planned to sit somewhere alone till she finds me and pretend that I hadn’t arrived this late. I canvassed the area. All the tables were filled with people chattering. As I didn’t know anybody there, I searched for a table with a little less crowd. And then I found her, a beautiful female sitting alone at a table with a glass of wine in her hand. Her slightly curled brown hair was let down and looked like it was in a bun, not very long ago. She was wearing a strapless white dress with her legs hiding under the table.

“Is this seat taken?” I asked her.

“No, help yourself.” she replied.

“Don’t you just love weddings? Everyone seems so happy.” I said starting a conversation.

“Yeah. Especially the bride and the groom.” she smiled. Something in her smile told me that she was mocking me, but I decided to let it go.

 “Here’s to Jack and Charlotte.” I said slightly raising my glass for toast.

“Jack and Jennifer” she said touching my glass with hers.

“Jennifer? I’m pretty sure it’s Charlotte.”

“You have been here just 10 minutes; I have been planning this wedding for 10 months. I think I’m a little bit more informed than you.” she snapped. 

“How do you know that I just arrived?” I asked, puzzled.

“Bride’s side or groom’s?” she asked avoiding my question.

“I’m groom’s secretary’s date.” I stated.

“Oh, you are Nicole’s cousin Danny. Mr. AlwaysLate, I should have guessed.” she said as her lips curved into a smile.

“I didn’t know I was that famous.” I said emphasizing ‘that’.

“You aren’t. I just happened to be in the bride’s room when Nicole was planning to kill you.”

“I guess I’m safe now.” I said pointing towards Nicole. She was still dancing with the same man. When she saw me she made an unreadable expression and signalled me to come.

“Excuse me; looks like I’m gonna die today after all.” I said standing on my feet.

“Don’t worry, she’s just worried for me.” she assured me.

“You? I’m not that dangerous. I don’t even know your name.”

 “Charlotte.” She smiled.   

“It was nice meeting you, Charlotte.” I said leaving the table.

“What is the matter with you, Danny?” Nicole asked me as I reached her. She was sitting alone at a table in the corner.

“Where’s your dance partner?” I asked hoping to change the subject.

“Sam’s gone to get us some drinks. But what is the problem with you?” she said gritting her teeth in frustration. “First you miss the wedding, and then you are flirting with the estranged bride. It’s sick.”

“Bride?” That was all I could manage between her anger and my confusion.

“If you had come on time, you would have known that Charlotte there was supposed to get married today.” Nicole said with a mixture of sarcasm and anger in her voice.