What Happens After Dark

December 15th, 2020

Mr. Beast didn't think anything interesting would happen that day. They were supposed to go film a video that particular winter evening but the temperature was inching to the negatives and only doomed to go lower. Not like filming a video was the most interesting thing he could be doing. They've become almost too ordinary, but the jokes and the laughter and the joy he gets from those around him was enough to suffice for it. Now lounging in the warehouse things were abnormally quiet. Jake was passed out on the couch, snoring lightly. Chandler and Chris we're sharing headphones watching a TommyInnit video on blast volume and Garret was browsing through his Twitter feed while listening to one of those 24/7 lofi live streams. But Beast was just happy spinning slowly in his office chair letting his own thoughts consume him. It's been a long time when he could just sort through whatever was on his mind. With the soft hum of the heater acting as a sort of white noise, he reveled in the peace, even if just for a few moments in the long stretch of eternity that should be his life.

"Jimmy!" Garret began, excitement rising in his tone.

"Ya?"

"The T-Series channel got deleted." He opened one eye, disbelief painting his face.

"I'm sorry what?"

"It's true, the idiots in charge... Apparently, the CEO Bhushan Kumar was caught being in cahoots with the Indian Mafia group D-Company, specifically, it's Godfather Dawood Ibrahim, and is currently on the run from the authorities. YouTube didn't want such a tainted name to be the number 1 on their platform so they deleted the main channel and all subsequent channels as punishment."

"What a bunch of boomers... wait... doesn't that mean that PewDiePie is number 1 again?"

"Holy shit dude I think you're right." Leaning back in his chair, a smile crossed his face.

"Oh my god, all that money I spent isn't in vain. Finally, after all these years!"

"None of the money you spend is in vain. Besides, you'll just get more!" Jimmy chuckled at that.

"Hey every ATM has its breaking point. I'm gonna overheat at some point and then who will you rely on to pay your bills?"

"I'll just steal what's in your safe!"

"Seriously? I have legit 5 bucks, 3 pennies, and an old McDonalds toy in there."

"If you have the McQueen McDonalds toy I can bribe the tax people with it."

"Sure you will Garret... But why were they working the mafia?"

"Honestly, no clue. Some sort of extortion crime against those who've wronged him perhaps? Or assassination maybe? Guess don't try upsetting that man now." The pair chuckled a bit.

***

December 18th, 2020

Days pass. He celebrated with Felix and actually got around to filming 'Last One to Stop Caroling Wins 10,000'. The holidays were just around the corner and the pace was picking up. Opening his 50¢ holiday store and trying to get nice gifts for his friends and family, things were just stressful enough to keep him on his toes but laid back enough for the final weeks of 2020 to be light. The eve before the opening of the holiday store, they still had a lot to prepare. Jake and Garret were getting the last of the lights on the building while Chandler (who was surprisingly good at sewing) was working in the break room on a specialized Santa suit for Jake since Amazon was sold out of one's his size. But Jimmy had to deal with the literal man child, aka Chris for decorating the tree. 

"And I get to put the star on right?"

"Yes, Chris you can put the star on WHEN WE'RE FINISHED."

"Move faster than, that's the best part!"

"Hey if you wanna get to putting the star on your gonna have to actually put ornaments on instead of just passing them to me every 45 seconds."

"But then your gonna pull out the 'that ornament doesn't go there' bullshit! I'm sorry, are there designated branches for ornaments? Didn't think so." Jimmy started laughing.

"Well, that's because you find the most unstable branches and put the heaviest ones there."

"So?"

"So! ...Ugh here just keep giving me ornaments." They kept at it for a while, him hanging the decorations and Chris... well he brought the mood up? As they finished the last few, Jimmy sent Chris to go check up on Chandler so he could do something. Inside one of the translucent plastic ornaments, he hid 10k for one of the customers or the crew to find. Smiling at his work, Chris and Chandler returned carrying the Santa suit.

"It's done! Get the Viking in here to try it on!" Jimmy nodded and went out.

"Jake get in here, your suits done."

"Perfect timing!" He yelled back. "We just finished with the lights." Garret and Jake climbed down, tearing off their snow-dusted coats the moment they stepped in. 

"Here go put it on! Hopefully, it works..."  Jake disappeared into the restroom while the rest of them looked at the tree. 

"Nicely done! Did Chris get to put the star on like he wanted to?" Garret asked.

"Yep. That's why it's crooked." 

"Hey, I've got shaky hands deal with it." Crossing his arms, he looked away suppressing a laugh. A few minutes later, Jake returned. Giving a little spin in the outfit, Chandler was excited to see that it fit. 

"So what are we gonna call you... Santa-Viking?" Chris questioned. 

"Sure, sounds fitting." Yawning, Chris walked over to Jimmy and put his head on his shoulder.

"Can we go home now?"

"You've done literally nothing to make you tired... but I guess we should. We've got an early start tomorrow!" 

"Alright then, see ya in the morning." As the group began to walk out, Jimmy decided to add a little more starting cash in the register, changing the 500 to 700. Grabbing the keys, he shut off the lights and locked the door behind him. The cold winter air hit him like a bag of bricks and he pulled his dark blue jacket closer to him. Cars were pulling out of the lot while he looked for his own. 

"Huh, that's weird... I could've sworn I parked right-" His eyes widened in panic as something muffled him. A hand. Kicking and screaming, his heart rate spiked to the point he could almost hear it thumping in his head. The grip around him got tighter. 

"Now." He tried to decipher the voice. A thick accent, maybe it's- But something was hit across his head and the faint lights on the side of the road disappeared into the velvety night...

~~~

Original Publication Date: December 4th, 2019

Began Writing On November 26th, 2019