Chapter 13

I woke up sore and stiff. Sleeping on the floor did me no good. I looked up to find Luke already awake, looking down at me, running his hand through my loose curls.

“How long have you been up?” I asked.

“Thirty minutes, maybe.” He said.

“You could have woken me up you know.” I said, smiling and sitting up.

            He sat up with me.

“I know, but you’re so peaceful when you sleep.” He said, kissing the top of my head.

“Will Rich be here soon?” I asked, wanting access to a shower.

“Any minute.” He answered.

            As if on cue, Rich unlocked the door and walked in, heading straight for the break room. Luke grabbed my hand and we dashed up to the counter. Luke left the money for my record, and then we were out the door before Rich could find out we had been there. Once we rounded the corner outside, we both began laughing.

“All right, we’d better get going. The boys are going to think we’re dead.” He said, grabbing my hand as we set off towards home.

            I did a mental count in my head. I’ve only been here for five days. This is so crazy. We walked the rest of the short walk home in silence. I was too preoccupied with my thoughts to carry on a conversation. One week was already almost up. Today is my last day off before I’m stuck in meetings with Leo for five days straight. When those are over, that only leaves four days before I leave. I’m sad now. Luke and I arrived at the flat.

“Ready?” He asked, eyeing me.

“Ready.” I assured him, wrapping an arm around his waist. He draped one across my shoulders.

            We walked in to find Mikey, Ash, and Cal all sitting up on the couch, looking very anxious.

“OH MY GOD WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?” Ash screamed, jumping up and attacking us.

“Oh God…you guys had sex.” Mikey said, seeing the way Luke and I were clinging to each other.

“No we didn’t. We got locked in Rich’s last night since you buffoons made us go so late. It was actually good though because it forced us to talk. We found out that we only acted like we hated each other because we actually like each other.” Luke explained.

“Yes, and now if you all don’t mind, I am going to take a shower to wash off Rich’s Records floor.” I said, untangling myself from Luke.

“Mind if I join you?” Luke asked jokingly.

“In your dreams, Hemmings.” I said as I closed my bedroom door.

            While I was in the shower, I realized something: I don’t really know that much about the boys. I told them all about my life on the first day, and they haven’t told me anything at all. I must fix this. I quickly finished my shower and hopped out, drying my hair with lightning speed. I put on a white tank top and navy blue shorts and a gray hoodie, and bounced out to find all of the boys lounging on the couch. Luke had taken a shower too because his hair was wet. I made room for myself next to him on the couch.

“I’ve had an epiphany.” I announced.

“A what?” Cal asked from the other side of the sofa.

“A realization.” I said in simpler terms.

“What is your epiphany, cupcake?” Ash asked.

“I don’t know anything about you guys. On my first day here, I told you all about my life. I don’t know anything about your lives before the fame.” I said, shrugging.

“You have a good point.” Mikey said.

“I guess we’ve just been so caught up in having an American girl stay with us that we forgot our manners.” Cal said, smiling.

            So, for the rest of the afternoon, Luke, Ashton, Calum, and Michael each took turns telling me all about growing up in Australia. Luke, Cal, and Mikey told me funny stories about their school days together, and I was actually able to ask questions that they had asked me on my first day. It felt so good to hear them open up because now I felt closer to them than I did before.

“Okay guys, group hug.” I announced, standing up and pulling Luke with me.

            I had to practically drag Michael into it.

“This is so lame.” I heard Luke mumble.

“Shut up Hemmings. I loooooooove you guys.” I sang out, squeezing tight one more time before letting go.

“What was that for?” Ashton asked.

“It just felt necessary after all of that heart-felt discussion.” I answered simply.

            The rest of the afternoon we just lounged around on the couch watching movies. I fell asleep around ten. I don’t know how much longer the boys stayed awake, but I felt myself being picked up some time later.

“C’mon buttercup nugget, time for bed.” I heard Ashton say as he picked me up and carried me into my room.

            I fell back asleep before he even left the room. I don’t think I had been asleep again for long before I heard my squeaky bedroom door open. I rolled over and rubbed my eyes before opening them. I sat up and looked around for a moment before I saw the shadow moving in the dark. As my eyes adjusted I saw it was Luke. He climbed into the bed with me.

“What in God’s name are you doing Luke?” I asked, tired and grumpy.

“Is it such a crime that I want to lay with you?” He laughed, obviously amused at my grumpiness.

“I guess not.” I yawned, laying back down and curling up next to him.

“Night love.” He whispered into my hair.

“Night Luke.” I smiled.