chapter one

Sunday Night
8:40 pm
Topaz Residents

"C'mon, Ester. Time for bed, sweetie." Cheryl cooed at her five year daughter who was sitting in the middle of their living room, playing with a couple of stuffed figurines.

"But, Mommy-" Ester began, looking up at one of her mothers who was standing above her as she gripped a simple doll in her hand, not wanting to let go.

"No but's, Ester. Let's get ready for bed now. You only have two days of school this week because of Thanksgiving break, okay? Then you can stay up until 10 o'clock!" Cheryl persuaded, squatting down so she was eye level with her.

"10 o'clock?"

The only redheaded Topaz nodded, extending her arms so she could pick her daughter up.

"Promise?" Ester asked, needing an answer before allowing her mother to pick her up.

"Promises can't be broken, baby." that was enough to convince the little girl and she climbed into her mother's arms.

"Hey, what's that?" Ester asked, rubbing her eyes and trying to stifle a yawn. She was looking at a silver-framed picture of two young women on their fireplace mantle, more of her trying to distract her mother than genuinely caring about the two girls.

"That's your mama and me, back in high school." Cheryl informed her daughter, who was perched on her hip. That seemed to perk the little girl up.

"You and mama?" Ester's intensely dark brown eyes widened, looking deeply into Cheryl's.

"Yup. That was a long time ago." the ginger looked at the image and sighed longingly, though she was extremely happy where she was in life right now.

"Mommy?" Ester asked, catching Cheryl's attention, "Are you sad?"

"No, baby. I'm not. But we have to get you in bed, it's getting late!" she smiled, brushing a curly brown strand of hair behind her tiny ear.

"Can you tell me about you and mama?"

"It's a long story, Ester." Cheryl frowned after seeing her daughter's disappointed look on her face, "but how about I tell you a little after you get ready, okay? As a bedtime story?"

"Okay!" Ester happily agreed, excited to hear about her mothers.

Thirty Minutes Later...

"Can you tell me now, Mommy?" Ester asked loudly, trying to come off as hyper and awake, though Cheryl knew better and saw that she was extremely tired, trying to stifle yet another yawn.

"It's getting late, Ester. Only fifteen minutes and then you're going to bed." Cheryl told her firmly, though she pulled up a wooden chair that Toni and her used to tell Ester bedtime stories that was stored against the wall.

"Okay..." Cheryl muttered, resting her forearms on her thighs as she leaned forward just enough so her knees touched the side of Ester's twin sized bed. "Where do you want me to start?"

"The beginning." the five year old whispered, nestling her face into a stuffed bear that held a big red heart that said 'i love you' on it, as she watched her mother, waiting for her to start.

"The beginning..." Cheryl repeated, trying to remember the important details of her and Toni's first interaction. Then the garage door started to open, sending a low rumble throughout the house, "Oop, your mama's home from work. Maybe she can help me tell the story, huh?"

Ester nodded vigorously, pulling the covers up to her band-aid-decorated chin in anticipation. Cheryl just chuckled and went to greet her wife, telling her daughter to stay and wait.

"Hi, baby." Toni smiled when she saw her wife standing in the doorframe of the mud room, quietly shutting the door that led to the garage.

"Hi, TT. Late night?" Cheryl cocked her head, taking the black leather jacket off of her wife now that her back was facing Cheryl as she kicked off her combat boots.

"Mhmm, is Ester asleep?" Toni asked, now facing Cheryl.

"Not yet. We're waiting for you." the redhead smiled at the shorter woman.

"Oh, yeah?" Toni asked, snaking her arms around Cheryl's waist and drawing her closer until there was no space in between them, "What are you waiting for me for?"

"She wants to know about us when we were young." Cheryl smiled, wrapping her own arms around Toni's neck and shoulders.

"Young? Baby, we're thirty and flirty."

"We're both thirty-three, Toni." Cheryl corrected her wife, though she couldn't help but smile at her vibrant personality.

"Ugh. Don't remind me." Toni rolled her eyes. Cheryl took this moment to peck her on the lips.

"I missed you." the taller woman whispered, snuggled in a tanned neck.

"C'mon, Cher. Let's not keep Ms. Ester waiting." Toni giggled, causing her wife to giggle as well. Cheryl nodded and they unwrapped themselves from each other, but Toni quickly reached her hand out for Cheryl's to lead her to Ester's room.

"Hey, Dimples." Toni smiled at Ester, going up to her bed and kneeling down so her face was right next to her's.

"Hi, mama." the girl returned the smile and brought her hands out from underneath the thick comforter to give Toni a hug.

"Mommy says you wanted to know about us when we were younger. Is that right?" Toni asked after peppering the little girl with kisses. Ester nodded and Toni got up from her knees and sat on the chair that Cheryl had pulled up from earlier. She felt her wife's slender fingers massaging her neck as she set their story up.

"Okay... it all started back in 2007, junior year."