Part 4

Part 4

I don't know if you have traveled on foot for long distances with a nine year old before, but let me tell you, it's painful. Fortunately Max bugged everyone instead of just me so I could laugh at Edmund and Malcolm after they laughed at me. The young men had become like brothers to me already, and their banter was hilarious.

We made it within three hours of our destination when we were too tired and it was too dark to go any farther. We rose a little later than we had intended but managed to get to Uncle's farm by noon. We found Aunt and the younger children cowering in the small hut. Apparently the dragon had come very close more than once and they were keeping a low profile. Which was wise. Aunt looked a little disapointed when we walked in with just two men, but she was too tactful to bring it up. We made up a simple story about my sword, knowing that my aunt wouldn't take the truth well before she knew Edmund better. 

"That horrid beast has been stalking in the woods, you know, Gwen." She told me not long after we got back. I tried to act like that was a piece of information I didn't have; though I was very sure it would be trying to take up residency here. "And I'm sure if we had any annimals they would have been carried off." She contined. I agreed with that. We ate what meager things we could find, but Malcolm and Edmund insisted that they would eat what was left of what they had brought with them.  

We hadn't been resting for long when we heard a screech that was becoming familiar.

We hurried outside; looking into the sky. The dragon was flying rather high but it still looked huge. The size of a full-grown horse at least. We watched it descend into the woods near the large clearing that this part of the forest was know for. Quilvon's Clearing, I believe was the name. Edmund spoke first.

"Shall we be going?"

I buckled my sword around my waist, glad to be free of the dress I wore in Viarlen and in my usual knee high boots, loose pants and shirt, and belt that I was so accustomed to. My quiver was already on my back.

"But of course." I said with a hint of sarcasm. He ignored me as I led them to the clearing were the beast had been headed. The men talked among themselves about how they should kill it, while I just walked ahead of them. Rivers was perched happily on Malcolm's shoulder, who was wisely wearing a leather jerkin. I wondered what good the bird would do, but didn't say anything. Both Malcolm and Edmund seemed to have faith in the falcon, so I wasn't about to protest.

The clearing was surrounded by forest with the thickest part lying to the north. We slinked to edge of the vegetation and saw the dragon crunching on some unfortunate doe. Whilst it was distracted we studied the dragon for weaknesses. I found none. It was a little larger than a draft horse, but was shaped like a huge dog, excepting it had no visible ears. It's tails were like two snakes with sword like edges and it's wingspan had to be at least twenty-five feet. Malcolm whispered something to Edmund and he nodded. He gestured with his head that we should move back. When we were out of what we hoped was heating range Edmund told us the plan.

"Malcolm thinks that it's probably not agile and that we should draw it into the northern part of the woods where it's thickest. That way it should have a hard time navigating quickly. Malcolm and Rivers will draw it north where John and I will be waiting. Gwen, you need to hit it where ever you see a weak spot as it's coming towards us but don't shoot when we're engaged unless absolutely needed. Don't want you hitting us."

I nodded. It sounded like as good a plan as any. We circled around the clearing and placed ourselves. Malcolm and his bird were right at the edge of the forest, Edmund and Uncle about fifty yards behind him with me positioned about ten yards in front and to the left of them. I began to understand the usefulness of Rivers as I watched it leave Malcolm's shoulder and fly around the dragon's head. The dragon looked up and snarled. Malcolm whistled a sort of pattern and the bird screeched and flew a direct path him. The dragon followed Rivers' trajectory and spotted Malcolm. It charged but Malcolm was already on his way to us. It slowed a bit when it reached the edge of the woods but it didn't stop. I watched in horror as it folded it's wings like a Chinese fan until only about three feet of wing was sticking out on each side. It used it's wings to help change directions as it darted effortlessly through the underbrush, putting Malcolm in hot water. I pulled the string on my bow taught as I looked for a weakness in the beast. I decided on the nose and let loose my arrow. It sunk deep into the dragon's snout and it paused momentarily to stretch it's wings to it's face to claw it out. It's arm like wings seemed to be it's greatest asset and our greatest bane.