Chapter 4

Justin slept on a bed in a special room in the infirmary, an I.V. attached to his arm and a heart monitor over his wrist. Outside of his room, the vice-principal stood talking to the principal.

"Is that the boy?" the principal asked.

"Yes," Stancher said. "This is him. I would like to request to see his file."

"Of course," he said. "I thought you might after I heard the news, so I brought it with me." The principal handed over a file to Stancher.

"Thank you," she said, opening the file and reading over it. She looked back at the principal with a confused look on her face. "I don't understand, where is all of the information?"

"That's it," the principal said. "We were unable to find any information on this boy from any point until he joined the school. Not even a last name. It is as if he has no past at all."

They both looked at Justin through the door's window. Stancher started thinking about what happened back in the battle simulator.
"What do you think about him?" she asked. "And just what kind of magic was he using back there?"

The principal looked back to her. "All in due time, Ms. Stancher. Oh, and send this boy to my office after he wakes up, I would like to have a word with him."

"Yes sir," Stancher replied, as the principal walked away. She looked back at Justin. Just who is this kid? She thought.

Justin felt a warmth on his face as he opened his eyes. He rubbed his eyes. "Where am I?" He said as he looked around. "What the-" Justin couldn't believe what he was seeing. He was sitting in the middle of a street surrounded by burning and destroyed buildings.

He got up and walked down the street, looking for any one to tell him where he was. He turned the corner and heard the sound of crying. "Hello! Is any one there?!" He shouted. There was no response, but the crying continued. He began running in the direction of the sound until he came to a collapsed building that was still burning. In front of the rubble sat a little boy, the source of the crying.

Justin walked towards him. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked. "What's wrong?"

"Me," the boy said, turning around. "I'm a monster." When the boy turned around to where Justin could see his face, he realized that the boy was him when he was younger.

Suddenly the words monster echoed through Justin's head. He clutched his head in pain as it pounded with every word. "Shut up!" he yelled. Monster. Monster. Monster. Justin screamed, waking up, sweating in the infirmary bed.

Justin quickly sat up in the bed. Alpha sat up and looked at him, sniffing his hand to see if he was okay. "I'm okay," he told him, petting his head. "Thanks for watching over me. How did I end up here?"

"We brought you here after we got the doors open at the Battle Simulator Arena," said a voice from the door. Justin looked over to see the vice principal standing at the door, holding a clipboard. "You've been sleeping here for the past three hours."

"Thank you," Justin said. "What happened anyways? After the robots attacked I don't..."

Stancher wrote something down on her clipboard. "You'll have plenty of time to discuss this with the principal, he told me that I should send you to his office as soon as you wake up. He says he wants to talk to you."

"Am I in trouble?" he asked her.

"I wouldn't know," she said. "But hurry up and get going, the principal doesn't have all day to wait for a child." And with that, she adjusted her glasses and walked out of the room.

Justin sighed and looked at Alpha as he got out of the bed. "That lady is scary," he said. "Guess we better get going." The two walked out of the door and into the hallway.

As they walked down the hall, Justin couldn't help but be confused. All down the hall students stared at him and whispered quietly, some even moved out of the way or ducked into nearby rooms.

"That's odd," Justin said as they stopped by the principal's office. "I wonder why everyone is acting so weird. They weren't like this earlier today."

Justin opened the door to see the secretary sitting at her desk next to the door of the actual office. She took one look at him and waved him in. "Go on," she said. "He's waiting or you."

"Oh, okay," Justin said as he walked into the office.

"Hello, Justin," said a voice. "I don't believe we've been formally introduced. I am Principal Cadres. It's a pleasure to meet you."