Chapter 1

I sit on the couch in Vivi's apartment. I have made sure to visit atleast once a month for the past year, but this time I needed help from my sisters. Taryn came with me, she had left my niece in Faerie with the Bomb and the Roach. We were all secretly trying to convince them to get married and start a family by leaving them with the youngest of our group. Current youngest.
     "Okay. You said you need something?" Vivi sits beside me, handing me a cup of tea. I sip it hesitantly as Taryn sits across from me. Heather joins us, too, sitting on the arm of the couch beside Vivi. I take a deep breath and sigh. "I need to tell Cardan something and I need Taryn's help preparing." Everyone looked confused, Taryn most of all. "Tell him what? And why do you need my help?" I smile, confident in telling everyone this. "Because, I'm pregnant."
     Heather and Taryn squeal, jumping up to hug me. Vivi smiles and nods, as if she approves. "Now I see why you need my help," Taryn says. "Step one, don't kill him after he inevitably freaks out." We all laugh and I'm glad everyone has gotten over Locke's death. None of us really liked him anyway.
     Taryn got me a beautiful dress and set up a private dinner in the royal rooms. "I can't tell you what to say," she says as she fixes my hair. "Just speak from the heart." I nod, eternally grateful for my twin. She pulls me from the chair and settles me on one of the lounges. "Now, Cardan will be here any minute. Have fun!" Taryn practically skips out, the door closing soudlessly behind her.
     I don't have to wait long. Cardan walks in not two minutes later, taking a seat across from me with a raised eyebrow. "What's all this, darling?" I'll never get used to him calling me that. I smile, hoping it's not more of a nervous grimace, and fix my skirts. "You'll see."
     As we eat, Cardan glances at me curiously. "Come now, Jude. Just tell me." I shake my head, starting to enjoy this. He humphs and falls back on the lounge. I know he's not really mad, he's just trying to get me to tell him. "Stop being impatient, Cardan. I'll tell you after we eat." At that he perks up with a mischievous grin. Within seconds, he's shoveling food into his face.
     I can't stop laughing, holding my sides. I guess he was done eating. Trying to calm down, I take a sip of water and take a deep breath. "You know how Oak doesn't want to be High King?" Cardan raises an eyebrow but nods. I can't seem to get the words out. It was so easy with my sisters and Heather. I love Cardan, what is my problem? He moves to sit beside me and places his arm over my shoulders. "What is it, darling?"
     I drop my head onto his shoulder and sigh. "Have you ever wanted kids?" Cardan freezes, a million things blazing in his eyes. "What are you trying to say, Jude?" He asks, breathlessly. I smile and place a hand on his cheek. "I'm pregnant."