Chapter 3

I have discovered the best feeling in the world. Being curled up in Cardan's arms, face buried in his chest, as he plays with my hair. "Cardan?" I ask, looking up at him. I know I'm about to ruin the moment, but it's something I've been thinking about for a while. "Yes, darling?" I bite my lip. Why am I nervous? "Are you scared?" His eyebrows go up in both surprise and confusion. "About the baby. I mean, I'm mortal I could-" Cardan cuts me off, anger seeping into his voice. "Don't you dare finish that sentence, Jude Greenbriar-Duarte. Nothing is going to happen." He uses my hyphenated last name, which I decided upon having when everything settled down, which both excites and scares me. He's never used it before. I nod and curl into a tighter ball. Cardan sighs. "Just don't worry."
     I decide not to worry and go about my life as if nothing is wrong. Which, nothing is wrong because I'm not worrying. I tell myself this as we go through meeting after meeting. After meeting after meeting. How can there be so many meetings?! By the time we're done, I'm exhausted and slump against the wall. "Jude, darling, you don't have to come to every meeting," Cardan says, clearly holding back from laughing. I glare at him and push off the wall. "I'm High Queen, in case you have forgotten. I need to know what is going on and you don't pay attention half the time." Cardan gives me a look that says, you are correct and I do not like it. I have come to know this look well, as I am usually right and Cardan usually does not like it. "I'm going to sit down, if you don't mind." I take a step and waver slightly. Cardan grabs me and quickly scoops me into his arms. "I'm sorry."
     He takes me back to our room and lays me down on the bed. "Rest. You worked yourself too hard." I nod, unable to argue. He brushes my hair from my face and places a kiss on my forehead. "It's nearly dawn anyhow. Go to sleep and I will join you soon." Within seconds, I fall into oblivion.

You were asking. This was in my drafts. Here ya'll go. I totally forgot about this story. Sorry its short. Buh-bye.