The Race

It starts. Silence takes over. Looking around, everyone had set off. I could not move. Panic rose in my body a I frantically look around, finding anything that could set me free. Nothing. What was happening? Staring at my frozen hands, I beg them to move. Nothing. I desperately try and think of anyway of becoming unstuck.

Looking into the distance, they get further and further away. They do not turn around or even slow down. I wanted to scream for them to help me or at least wait for me, but I couldn't. Stupid, useless and thick. These three words play over and over again in my head, like a broken record player on a monotonous loop.

Everything is quite. I have no one around me to ask for help. My breathing is the only thing that is keeping me from going insane. It reminds me that I am still alive. My heart beats faster with every second that beats by. I just need to focus.

I can do this.

Opening my eyes, I move my hands. I can start. I race to catch up with the others. I can do this. Relief washes over me. Just keep going. Images flash through my mind. The race is not over yet. I need to finish, even if I do not win. I need to finish.

Half way there.

Yet, I am no where near finishing. I push myself forward in an attempt to at least hear the cheering of the crowed, guiding me to the right destination. Time ticks by. Not slowing. Not stopping. Time waits for no one. It never has, it never will.

Struggling, I try and push myself, but the more I push, the more I slow down. My heart rate picks up again. I am on the edge of giving up. Who cares if I finish this race? I am only going to come last. No one cares about the person that comes last. They are only seen as weak and less valuable, even though they put the most effort in and they give the most that they could give. So, who cares if I complete the race? I care.

I start to pick up my pace again, going faster than I have ever gone before. People fade back into my vision. I feel their eyes staring and judging. I step over the finish line.

Times up. I put my pen down.