Chapter 1- Goat Tying Champions!

"Hurry up will you? You're gonna be late for your first round!"

"I'm comin I'm comin! Geez, no need to get cranky."

Candice and Cailey had been roping together since they could remember. Today was a real special day, cause this was the first year that they had both made it to the National High School Rodeo finals in Wyoming. The problem was, Cailey had a quick temper and a real smart mouth on her.

"Cail! I'm not kiddin! Y'all are gone be late! Round starts in two! Ya better be there!" Cried Candice, Caileys best friend.

This week, they were both competing in goat tying, and calf roping.

"And next in the ring from oklahomas most famous high school for rodeo'n in the US, Cailey Walker! Ridin' her two year-award winning all around rodeo mare, "Cuttin' em Close". Also known by some people as Kansas!"

"Cailey has been showing in the rodeo circuit her whole life, and hopes to keep up her familys tradition of winning all around cowgirl/boy at your annual NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL RODEO ASSOCIATION FINALS!!!!" Screams the announcer, getting the crowd fired up.

I pin me and kansas in the corner, ready to break out as soon as the whistle goes. I spot Candice along the metal rail, giving me two thumbs up and her signature smile that can haul in cowboys all the way from Texas. Candice is your regular everyday rodeo queen, dazzling smile, blond hair, blue eyes; but Candice is the nicest person you will ever come across, unlike other queens around here. UGH. Why she's stuck by my side all this time, I got no clue, what with my well know snarky remarks and quick temper.

The whistle goes, and I'm off after that goat! I'm determined to beat my last time, and if I do, i'm automatically put in the final round.

"LET'S GO CAILEYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! TIE 'EM FAST CAIL!!!!!" I hear my best friend screaming at the top of her lungs.

I race down to the end of the arena, ignoring a snide remark sent from one of the wannabe queens in the stands. Remind me to give her a little somethin later.

As soon as i reach the goat, I jump off and reach for the rope on my jeans. I tie his legs as fast as I possibly can, but I know it's not fast enough, I throw my hands up as soon as I tie the knot, letting the announcer know I'm done. Standing up, I brush off the dirt, pretty mad that I didn't do very well.

"Ladies and Gentleman, good luck winning this round, heck, good luck winning goat tying at all, cause if i may, CAILEY WALKER YOU JUST GOT A 14.6!!!!!" The announcer calls with a grin.

I'm frozen. I see Candice leap over the rail and run towards me, screaming her head off.
"YOU DID IT C!!!!!" She laughs. "YOU ACTUALLY WON THE FINALS!"

I finally snap out if it, and run at Candice, screaming and laughing right along with her! I just got a 14.6!!!!!!! unbelievable!!!!! I shoot a smirk over at my least favourite rodeo queen in the whole wide world, Amanda, and burst out laughing at her horrified expression. I poke Candice in the shoulder between fits of laughter and screams, motioning at her to look at Amanda's face.

The crowd is going crazy! I just made a high school record!

After I receive my buckle, me and Candice take the horses back to the trailer to cool down a bit before calf roping. "I still can't beleive it cail! You should of seen the other girls' faces when the announcer said your time! Ha! They were soooo mad!" Laughed Candice.

"Oh great, look who's comin." Candice pointed over towards the other schools' trailers, where Amanda and her posse were strolling over towards ours. I just roll my eyes and wait for the barbies to come into talking distance.

"Soooooooo, what are gonna do with that buckle, huh Cailey?" Sneered Amanda. "Are you gonna hang it up on your wall? Cause you'de better enjoy it while you can cause you won't be getting another one anytime soon, if I have anything to do with it." The rest of her 'pals' laughed at that one as if it was the funniest thing they had ever heard.

"Oh really Amanda? Cause when I look over at your trailer I don't see a single winning. No buckles, no saddles, no chaps."

"Awwwww, are you jealous that we have a nicer trailer than you?" Asked Amanda with a sickly sweet fake smile plastered on her face. She just does it for the judges, but I hope they realize what a terrible person she is.

"Naw it's not that, it's how ugly you guys are with your sequin-attacked queen shirts on." I spit back at her. "I don't know how people don't stare at you." I give her one last smile, loop my arm through Candice's, and parade away.

Serves her right.