Chapter Thirty-four

I took the plain white paper and exchanged a knowing look with Annabelle who glanced back at me and back to Eva.

"I'm tired," she said and I took her to lie with Carly. I tucked them both in and planted kisses on their foreheads. When I did, Eva smiled with her eyes closed but Carly wriggled free still with sleepy eyes and I let her be.

I stood up and yawned. That day was sure the strangest and weirdest I had ever experienced. I blinked and stared into my wristwatch. Blurred images formed and I used my fingers to massage my eyelid and clearing whatever film formed in it.

I stared back again and noticed the time was fifteen minutes to one o'clock in the morning. I walked out of their room and to the sitting room where I saw Annabelle writing down some incomprehensible words.

She would shake her head and make a rough cancellation when she made a mistake and rub her temple in defeat.

"Annabelle," I said drawing closer. She looked towards me and I noticed the eye bags at the corners of her eyes.

"Maya! I thought you had gone to bed," she said and placed both hands on her head as a means of support.

"I came to check up on you. What are you still doing up?" I asked although I knew already.

"These codes. They are ancient letters... Symbols.... and I tried to make out a meaning by combining their individual meanings, but it's making no sense."

"It's no use staying awake. Today has been really busy," I said and took out my glasses closing the handles of the frame, "we'll continue tomorrow."

"How am I supposed to decipher this even in ten years time?" she asked and moved her hand for demonstration.

"You don't have to. I know someone who might know how to translate this."

"Who?"

"Edward. It's about time I paid a visit again. My clues are starting to muddle up in my head again. Like how on earth could Eva draw a father she had never met before?"

                ~~~~~~~~~~

"You have five minutes!" I heard the jail warden instruct and drag Edward into the room where he was supposed to stay and communicate with me as physical contacts were not allowed.

Edward sat down behind the glass window on his worn out uniform and yet again, I noticed another scar over his fore head. It was fresh as blood coated the entrance of it just the way Eva drew it.

He shot one terrifying look at me and I held unto my black hand bag while I reached for the telephone that was placed just beside the glass. That was supposed to be our means of communication. He brought out his from where it hung and I began.

"Edward."

"Maya," his voice was weak yet fierce. "Didn't expect to see you soon," he said as though he struggled for words.

"I didn't expect to come here either but here I am. There are just a few many things I would like us to talk about."

"Is the mayor dead? I don't get to read the papers much often."

"He still lives," I whispered. "It wasn't that easy, but there might be another way and that's why I'm here."

"How's Carly?"

"She's holding up and... "

"What?"

"Eva is with us. Your mom had been with her and brought her to me yesterday."

"My mother?" he asked wide eyed.

"Edward it's a long story and time wouldn't permit me to say it all just know she loves you and Anna very much," I said as I battled with the tears that gushed down hurriedly as though they had been waiting for an escape.

He pressed his fingers tightly on his eyelids stopping the tears from flowing and he looked so vulnerable... So innocent and I wondered how he held up in the prison.

"She gave me this," I mustered up the strength to speak after what seemed like forever and I slid the paper underneath the glass.

He took it and looked at it for a long time saying nothing and his expression gave no clue of what he thought about.

"Just so you know, Eva drew this on arrival last night," I said and slid in the drawing also. "Any ideas as to how a five year old who had never met you before, drew you so perfectly?" I asked.

"Eva drew this?" he quizzed and this time he let the tears roll.

"Yes. Annabelle said it had something to do with her being a Vixen."

"Of course. How did I not figure that out sooner. What about Carly? Any noticeable ability?" he pressed on.

"None for now except the dreams of you, the man in black chasing them."

He sighed and then I proceeded to ask about the interpretation of the symbols.

"Do you understand it?" I asked.

"Yes," he said and at once my expression lightened up. I brought out my pen and jotter from inside my bag and waited for what he wanted to say.

"Ok I'm listening," I said.

"Before I explain, I need you to bring my daughters to see me first. They need to know I'm their father."

"You must be crazy. How do you expect me to bring my daughters to see their father that has been convicted and is currently serving time? They think you are dead."

"Well then, tell them I'm alive."

"Edward you can't do this to me. I need those clues to end all this drama."

"You'll get the interpretation when I see my daughters again."

"Time's up!" the warden called from within and handcuffed Edward before closing the door behind them.

I hit my hand on my head and tried suppressing my frustration. My only chance of saving my babies had been stolen from me and to get it back, I'd need to do the impossible; bring my children to see Edward.

Just then, my phone beeped and I knew for sure it would be from the office. I hadn't reported to work and I knew my boss would be mad. Really mad!

"Hello?" I said and waited for him to speak up.

"Maya I need you to report to work immediately, I have news for you. The mayor is dead."

Author's note: Hello and thanks for reading up to this point. I haven't been consistent with my updates because I've been too busy with the new book I'm working on. But don't worry, I've got you covered.

This chapter is dedicated to SaM2664 💋

Thanks for reading. Please vote ⭐
Comment!

Share!

Thank you!