Chapter One

An;I know I know you're probably confused why I put a Katniss amv in here but don't worry, it's just because I think this amv is really cool to watch so yea on with the story!

Dakota's POV:

Swish, swish, swish. I could feel the grass brush against my pant leg as I trekked through the dense forest, in search for food. In search for anything I can hunt to bring home. I know what I'm doing is wrong, and unallowed according to President Snow, but I'd do anything to keep my sister, Rose, alive. For the past week she's had a high fever and terrible nightmares that have left me waking up to spine-tingling screams each night. I assume the nightmares are because of the fact that each day that passes brings us closer the the Reaping. In fact, it's tomorrow. Don't think about it. You have to focus so you can bring something back for Rose to eat.
I nearly trip over a small cleft of rock in front of me I'm so lost in thought. What's wrong with me? I'm never clumsy. It's these dreaded Games that keep occupying my thoughts and keeping me from focusing. I mentally slap myself and continue to search for food. A noise from up ahead catches my attention, my head snaps in the direction of the sound and a creep cautiously forward, afraid it might be another human instead of food, and if I ran into the wrong person, they might rat me out to the Capital. I peer through the delicate leaves of the tree in front of me and see that it is in fact food. A plump bunny to be precise. I'm not fond of taking the life of an innocent animal, but if it kept my family alive, than that's exactly what I'll do. I take a knife out from my pocket and line up a shot.

Aim
Focus, keep quiet

Line up the shot
Don't mess it up, my family and I need this food, don't let it hear you

Throw
Perfect aim, concentration....it hits the mark

I jog over to the now dead animal and take my knife out of its side. I look down sadly at it before picking it up and heading back towards the house.
...
...
When I get back to the house, my brother, Jaxon, greets me at the door.
"Koda! Did you find anything?" He asks eagerly, hope clearly evident in his crystal blue eyes. Jaxon was eighteen, a year older than me. He had a strong, stocky build, and was very intelligent. This year would be his last chance to get picked as a tribute for the Hunger Games, and I really hoped he would stay safe like he had the past 6 years of his life spent as a possible tribute in the Reapings.
I grinned and took the rabbit out from under my coat, where I had been hiding it so no one knew I went hunting. "Sure did, Jack," I reply. "How's Rose doing?" I ask him, worried as his smile fades.
"She-she's...okay, for now," he sighs, sadness creeping into his eyes. I nod and walk into the door of our house, setting the rabbit on the table for Jack (Jaxon) to cook. I walk into the 'living room,' which is more of an empty space with three chairs, a table, and a rug on the wooden floor. I see Rose sitting on one of the chairs, her shoulders where shaking violently and her eyes her red and puffy. I rush to her side and put her in my lap. Even if she was twelve, I still treated her like a little child at times, even if she didn't always like it.
"Shhh, you'reokay, you'reokay," I whisper softly into her ear as I hear her high pitched sobs start to subside. "What's wrong, Rosie? Why are you crying? I want to see you happy, not heartbroken," I tell her in a quiet, calm voice.
She wipes her eyes with the back over her hand and looks up at me, a single tear slowly falling down her cheek. "I-I don't wa-ant you to d-di-die," she whispers. "I don't want Jack t-to did, e-either, I want you to be with me, forever. Please, Koda, p-please don't leave me...!" She cries, clutching onto me for dear life as more sobs rake through her fragile frame.
"Who says I'm leaving, Rosie? Even if I get Reaped, you'll still have Jaxon. And vice versa! And I promise, I'd win it. I'd win the Games. I'll never leave you, Rosie. You don't have to worry," I lie. I know I can't make those kinds of promises, but I just hate to see Rose cry. I just hope we'll all stay safe during the Reaping tomorrow.