Chapter #2

Two weeks later...

I run outsite when I see the mailmen. I get the mail before it can even get to the mailbox. I smile and say "Thank you!" And run back inside. I read over the mail until I find one that says "PayPal" on it. I open it up and find my card neatly inside. I take it out and have a huge grin on my face. I go to my room, and find my purse. It takes a while since I haven't used it in forever. Then I see that it contains a fifty dollar bill. I look down just smiling. I open the wallet that still has a couple ones and some change. I slide the debit card into it's slot and put the fifty with the ones.

"Mom, can I ride my bike over to Pet Smart?" I ask.

"Sure, but bring your phone. And make sure it's not on silent." She answers.

"Yes, mother." I say. I turn and run out to the garage. I get my bike and start pedaling like mad. I get to Pet Smart in just four minutes. I hop off my bike put it on the rack and lock it in place. I go inside and look at doggie shampoo. I found one that was gentle on skin and chose it. I also went to the toy aisle. I find a medium rope toy, some stuffed toys, and a Kong. Then, I grab some bones and treats I check out and pay a total of sixty eight dollar and forty two cents.

I leave Pet Smart, text my mom, and head over to the shelter. I ask to see if I could volunteer for awhile today, and maybe make a schedule and come more often.

"Do you have any dogs that could use a walk?" I ask the clerk.

"Let me talk to the manager." She replies. She walks into another room and comes out with a tall man. He smiles when he sees me.

"I assume you're Ava?" He asks.

"Yes. And I was wandering if I could walk some of the dogs." I reply.

"Sure, but you'll have to sign a waiver. And you're mother will have to sign it to." He says.

"Okay, I'll be back in a few." I say. I ride my bike home. When I get home I find a pen, sign the paper and take it to my mom. She's on the phone so I don't say anything. I hand the paper to her. She signs it and I leave.

I get back to the shelter and he already has a beagle mix ready to go. I take the leash, and hand him the paper. He looks down at it and says "Okay, you're ready to go."

I happily walk around town. I talk to the beagle often. He just looks at me panting. I have some treats and praise him for heeling. He's one of the new dogs so he doesn't have a name.

I walk back into the shelter and see Stan, the manager sitting at a desk writing on papers.

"Can I name this little guy?" I ask.

"Sure." He says handing me a paper that will go this pups cage. On the name line, I write "Harley". I hang it over his cage and play with him for a bit. Then I give him some water.

I look for another dog that hasn't gone on a walk in a while. I find Gracie, a pit bull. She's brown and white with brown eyes. I have to grab a gentle leader so I can walk her. Before I can leave, Stan comes up and gives me a volunteer shirt. I put Gracie in her cage for a minute so I can change in the bathroom. When I'm done changing I take Gracie for a walk over to the park. We play around there, and walk through the woods. Once we get back she's very tired. She walks over to her crate and gets in without a problem. I fill her water bowl and she drinks every last sip.

Then I decide to take Jack for a walk. He's a senior dog. A super cute German Shepherd, pit bull, lab mix. For being around eight years old, he's still energetic. You could say he's just young at heart. I get stopped by a man jogging, wanting to pet him. I make Jack sit and man starts petting him. He asks how old he is, I say about eight. He raises an eyebrow at me.

"He's from the shelter. I'm just volunteering to take some dogs for a walk." I tell him.

"Would you mind showing me to this shelter? I think I might want to adopt him." He replies.

"Of course!" I say, happily. We walk back to the shelter. I find Stan and tell him that this man might want to adopt Jack. Stan comes back to the front desks with a bunch of paperwork. He hands some of it to the jogger for him to fill out. I put Jack into his crate with a bone and some water. He happily breaks down and devours the bone.

I decide that I should leave, I say goodbye to Stan and walk out. I ride my bike home, and tell my mom about Jack. She's very pleased with the news. I go back to my room and continue to read "Dog Training: The Essential Guide". I finish the rest within an hour or so. I give them book back to my mom, and she hands me another. This one is called "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". I read about a sixth of the book. I get bored after that and mow the lawn. My mom hands me a twenty dollar check that I put in my wallet. I make a run to the bank and deposit it.