Chapter 22

Bani was standing in the terrace, the wind was still, they had finished their dinner and any moment Jai will come up, Sulochona is still in pain, the baby not showing any signs of appearing on the earth quickly, there was an uneasy calm in the family, Bani had not missed that Maaji for a change was arranging the plate for food herself which was handed over to Budima for taking to the backyard...poor mother, apna beta itna pass hote huwe bhi she cannot acknowledge his presence but Bani was upset for some other reason.....

She was still feeling guilty for not being able to confide the truth to Jai, about her first marriage, she knew it is time she tells this, his men are going to her village to buy land and ruin Angshuman Rai and if they hear something and report to Jai, how will he take it, he will be real upset, a feeling of betrayal....lekin batay to kaise bataye....just then Bani thought she saw a ficker of light at the Mango Orchard.....in quick succession as if a torch was lighted and switched off, happened two three times......who can it be, not chhote chacha once again, but then it is heard he is not keeping too well, some fever, but then he might come and maybe is signaling Chachi...why should I be concerned...bhar me jaye...mujhe kya....just then it happened again.....curiosity got better of Bani, she went down in soft steps towards the mango orchard, hiding in the shadows, she came to stand behind a tree, as her eyes got adjusted, she what she saw made her freeze.

+++++

Jigyasa looked at the woman, yes I went to that house and said I am coming from Sonargaon after visiting my sister who lives there, I heard her neighbour's daughter has been married to our village aur baato baato me pata chala aaplogo ke ghar me.....gauna nehi huwa and your son has got married the 2nd time but I have seen the plight of the mother, a widow with three daughter....ha ha sautela ma hai, lekin ma toh hai....bol rahi thi agar abhi bhi mang le toh me nishchint ho jayu...aankhe mund saku chain se.....

And what did they say, they said their son is very happily married the second time but I even said this is not fair, he studied with the money given as dowry by the first wife's father and now it is not fair not to accept the girl, it is not right on their part ....

They did argue they are not the first ones doig it but then I said for an educated son like yours, he should show us the way.....

Phir kya huwa....

They kept quiet...I think I have been able to make them feel a bit guilty....

Jigyasa smiled, she took out the money and handed over to the woman, yes I think too, wait for some more time and if they do not react, go to their house again and instigate them....

Ha tabh iss paisa se kaam nehi chalega....

De dungi bus tum lage raho.....you can even say I am on death bed and would like to get some respite before I die....

And they find coming here you are hail and hearty....

Leave that to me, I will do my best to look sick but then keep the pressure on.....

The lady left, well she has to go back a long way but the money is good, Jigyasa even promised an incentive if Bani's in-laws come hunting for her......what is her plan god knows, not that she cares but then she was having fun, not minding the long journey....

Jigyasa's eyes gleamed as she saw off the lady....she sat down looking at her hand, bare without her gold bangles but she did not regret, kuch pane ke liye kuch dena parega, so when Bani's first in-laws will come looking for her to take her back she will cry aloud and blame her mis-fortune, the villagers of course know the truth and and is not speaking loudly being scared of Angshuman Rai, after this they will hopefully speak out, hopefully the news will reach the ears of Bani's present in-laws as it is people from Roopnarayan are coming here to buy land on Jai's behalf....kuch na kuch toh hogahi and Jai Narayan Choudhury, all said and done cannot keep a girl who is already married to another man as his wife....rakhail bana ke rakhega toh phirbhi chalega.....in short Bani should not have a better life than Piarani, no way Jigyasa can allow the same....