The Early Birds

Streaks of orange and red rent the sky, but while the sun awakened, Eli remained asleep. He was still, toxic black marring his skin, breaking it in pieces where it should have been whole. Achia noted that his leader's markings were similar to his element, dark lightning strikes across Eli's chest; stomach.

He wanted to turn back time, and kill the three mages himself. He cursed, rising and walking over to Elizabeth, who kept watch over their camp. She turned to look down at him as he sighed, leaning against the tree she was in.

"He isn't awake, then," she grit her teeth, disappointment clear in her features. "What of the Night Owls? Any news?"

"Screven arrived. They caught up with the group of Mages, eliminated the threat. We've found another map, new markings for campsites, and patrols."

Elizabeth dropped from her branch, tapped Achia on the shoulder.

"Tag, you're it. I need to speak with Screven. I'll be back soon; keep an eye out for any fires."

"Got it," he agreed, pulling himself onto the branch.

She made her way back into the camp, passing and curving around trees and bushes. She entered the clearing, seeing the cabins made from solid earth and wood, and spotted Eli's form next to the burning fire, on a pile of blankets.

Screven stood near him, arms crossed as he watched their leader, nodding at what Rafiles had to say. He glanced up as he saw Elizabeth walk toward him.

"Yes, Mercy said she thinks we should have the elementals on watch. The mages may leak their energy, and we'd be busted," Screven said as Elizabeth walked into hearing range.

"Sounds dangerous," Elizabeth commented.

"It's the best plan. Michaela and Vera are taking two of the routes from the maps we found, and I'm taking the third; all after midnight. Soon as we find our quarries, we'll disappear. Short of finding a patrol now and interrogating them..." Screven trailed off.

"I see it isn't worth it. You look exhausted, Screven; you should sleep," Rafiles suggested.

"That, I will. Wake me up when Eli does. We've a matter to discuss," Screven said, walking off.

The hours passed, and Eli's status hadn't changed. He wasn't getting worse, and while he seemed to have stabilised, the Early Birds were worried.

Screven woke up, blearly rubbing his eyes. He wondered at the time, the blaze of sun overhead, some light streaking through the wood cabin. He exited to see Joseph by the fire, at Eli's side.

"And?"

"Not dead. Not awake," Joseph shrugged.

"Love the positivity."

"It is what it is. I'll ride out later, meet the Night Owls at their camp around dusk. Until Eli heals, there isn't much I can do."

"Then I'll remain, and pass my mission over to you."

"Sure."

"This paper has the route. Michaela will explain it. My healing aspect should help here, but I'll have to wait for midnight. As for now," he paused, "let me switch with Rafiles; watch over the camp."

Joseph gave a nod as he put the paper in his pocket, and went back to staring into the fire, a hand outstretched. He pulled back his hand, held a flame in his palm. If only that heat could reach their leader, and heal him. Why wasn't the sun doing it's job, and more importantly, what was wrong with Eli?