Chapter 4: Bits & Pieces

The tube had been removed a week ago, and while he was happy; Ford felt rather lost without it. They had scheduled therapy straight after he had woken up. He moved his wings according to the instructions the man in the white coat was telling him as he sat on the metal table in the Lab, the top half of his white boiler suit tied around his middle as per usual,

"Stretch out the left one as far as you can" the man asked, moving an arm in accordance.

Ford grunted as he did so, it felt odd having to do it on his own, and even though his brain now registered that the wings were a part of him he still had awhile to go before moving the wings would be second nature.

He tucked the wings back in as the man nodded, writing something down on his clipboard, "Well done Subject 6, that will be all for today."

The Orderlies walked him back to his room and he spent the rest of the afternoon banging on the door, screaming at the guards to let him go. His wings out as his anger and sadness coursing through them. The shock collar around his neck beeped a warning and he screamed in pain and fell to the floor as electricity coursed through him for the third time that afternoon. When it was over he got straight back up and continued to bang on the door with his bruised fists.

He would not let a few volts stop him.

He always felt homesick when he was left alone to his thoughts, emotions would run high and he wanted nothing more than to murder every one of these sick bastards and run home to his family

He always felt homesick when he was left alone to his thoughts, emotions would run high and he wanted nothing more than to murder every one of these sick bastards and run home to his family. The hissing sound of sleeping gas alerted him and he sighed and sat down on the floor, leaning up against the metal as tears ran down his face, his neck sore from being electrified.

~

Ford sighed, his fingers clenched. "Did you have Shermy to replace me?" he whispered. Kari gasped and came over, hugging her son "No! No baby no, of course not!"

"Truth?"

"Truth, nothing could replace you" Kari said, kissing his forehead softly. Ford closed his eyes, enjoying the affection he had missed before standing up, "Now that's cleared up. We need a plan."

"What did you have in mind?" Pa said, noticing the look on his sons face, similar to the one he used when he was thinking.

~

He ran down the corridor, his heart beating fast as the men behind him gave chase. The useless wings on his back dragged behind him as he looked for an exit, the hospital gown he was in far too big on him and he almost tripped as it caught under his bare feet.

"SUBJECT 6! STOP RIGHT NOW!" the guard at the front yelled. Fourteen-year-old Stanford shook his head, his eyes noticing a door nearby. he ran too it when he saw the outside behind the slightly frosted glass. The door didn't open and he tugged at it, sobbing loudly, "LET ME GO!" he yelled, banging on the glass. Hands grabbed him, picking him up off the floor so he couldn't run. Ford struggled and cried, twisting his body in attempt to free himself, "NO! PLEASE! LET ME GO! I JUST WANT TO GO HOME!"

A sharp pain in his neck made him scream and hands tightened their hold as he grew sluggish and tired, "It's okay bud, just go to sleep" a voice said calmly. Ford obeyed and closed his eyes as his arms and legs grew too heavy, the drugs already clouding his vision. When he woke from his drug induced sleep there was a metal collar around his neck.

He tugged at it with a finger in annoyance, "What the heckity hay hay is this thing?" he asked his empty room.

"Shock collar, you misbehave like that again and you get shocked," a guard said, peering through the food hatch of his door. Ford looked at him grumpily. "I'm not an animal! Take it off!" he insisted. The man laughed and closed the hatch, "No can do, kid."

~

Filbrick piled the weapons he had hidden around the house and some old knives from the antique store downstairs. Ford grinned and Kari grimaced, not realizing just how many sharp things her husband had "These are perfect" Ford said. Filbrick smiled softly "Can you use them?" he asked. Ford nodded and picked up the pieces of an old gun, putting it back together in record time.

He filled the chamber with bullets from the old box of rounds and readied it. Everyone gaped at how quickly he had done it in and Ford wondered if he had bet his old time.

"How!?" Stan asked,

"They trained me too," Ford answered.

The Orderly pushed the sixteen-year-old down into the seat, careful not to touch the tube in his head, while the man opposite him across the table smiled, "Good morning, Subject 6, sleep well?"

Ford looked at him with black circles under his eyes, "Fine," he grumbled tiredly. The man pushed over a pile of odd looking parts, "Today, I'll be teaching you how to take apart and put together a gun, you will continue to do so until it becomes second nature, only after you have completed said task will we start on shooting practice at the firing range," he said. Ford took the paper he gave him, instructions on what went where, were written down on the laminated page.

"Memorize this and begin, if you mess up you'll be shocked, is that clear?"

"Yes sir."

Stan gaped "So cool!"

Ford smiled softly. "If they come for me then you need to follow my instructions. I am the boss, is that clear?"

His family nodded, Shermy looked afraid and Ford kneeled down to his height once more, "Don't worry Sherm, you won't need to fight, in fact none of you will need too if my plan goes right. But take a weapon just in case" he said. Shermy grabbed the dagger before Kari could stop him and clung to it tightly, his knuckles white.