Behind Bars

Disclaimer: This is my first entry for @avaviolet 's She's With Me contest.

Behind Bars

You were right, Sir Issac, every action does indeed have a consequence. But how was I to know mine would end with this?

•*•*•*•

I walk silently, on the tips of my toes, until I reach the cell I'm looking for. I put my hand to the bars and choke back a sob. The person behind them sleeps soundly, unaware of any disturbance. I sink to the floor and place my head against the bars.

Don't cry Isla. Don't cry.

My mantra doesn't work, tears slip through like rain drops and it's not long before a rogue hiccup escapes.

The boy shoots up, suddenly alert. He looks around frantically until his deep green eyes find mine.

This is all my fault.

"I'm sorry Declan," I sniffle. He looks on in disbelief.

"Wha-" he begins, "How the-" then a wicked grin takes over his face and he proclaims, "I knew it."

He bends down and captures my hand against the bar. "I knew you had to have gotten away."

Suddenly, we're sitting in identical positions: one hand against the bars, foreheads a bar from touching. Except, Declan is behind the bars. This is the consequence.

My best friend is on trial for murder and the real monster is not because I'm a coward. I'm a coward who ran away from her problems and left her loved ones thinking she was dead.

We catch each other up and from our hushed conversation, I gather that someone found a clump of my burned hair, and the remains of Declan's jacket washed ashore. Now, he's here suffering the consequences of someone else's cruelty.

My hand curls into a fist, "Declan I'm so, so sorry. I'm sorry for being a coward and I'm sorry I only just found out he was framing you. I came as quick as I could."

He angles his head up slightly to look at me. "You're not a coward Isla, you're the strongest, bravest person I know. It's okay to need time."

But it's not. Not if it lands your best friend in a remand cell. Behind bars.

"I didn't know what to do, I mean, he's my uncle. But I swear to you, I will fix this. I will make this right. I won't let him get away." I promise.

"Isla, sweetheart, I-" now he's holding back tears. "Thank you."

"I'm going to tell the truth. Every last bit of it. Down to his murder attempt and the gory details of his gritty harassment" I look straight into his eyes and breathe, "Innocent until proven guilty, Declan."

"Innocent until proven guilty," he echoes, "Please be safe."

I plant a kiss to the hand against mine and force myself to let go. I run until I find a security guard on patrol. He immediately reaches for his gun, but I don't let him get that far. I throw my hands up and fervently declare, "My name is Isla Mason and I am not dead. I'm ready to tell my story."