chapter four - best friend

chapter four — best friend

<Kieran's POV>*

THE DAYS WERE GROWING LONGER. Coach's practices usually extended far beyond the actual set end-time, but it was, surprisingly, still light outside when we ended. There was no breeze, the air stiflingly warm and humid, almost lazy in the way it bogged my shirt down making everything cling uncomfortably. I pulled at the neck of my tee, scowling when Marco slung his arm around my shoulder, other draped around the much-taller form of DJ. DJ shrugged sheepishly, while Marco yapped loudly about something, unbothered by me not giving a shit.

Lukas and Roger were walking ahead of us to the parking lot where the parents were waiting for pick up, probably discussing Chemistry or some smart-people shit. Roger's Mom was the only parent from our group who was consistently on time, but she didn't give out rides though since Roger never went home after practice. He went to like tutoring or some shit like that even though he didn't need it. Roger was easily the nerdiest dude I knew, never pulling in anything below an A-, but an A- just wasn't enough for some people. It seemed plenty enough for me since I usually averaged a solid B- on a good day.

A few of the other sophomore players aggressively brushed by me, shoulders knocking into mine. I grit my teeth, steeling myself for another hit as some of my classmates eyed me strangely. I hated nearly all of them. They couldn't play basketball for shit, minds so focused on their college resume that they forgot how to do anything but bullshit and walk.

They passed by Roger, who made an exaggerated motion with his hands, eyebrows crossed in stress. Lukas just laughed, replying with a smile, but I couldn't hear anything since Marco wouldn't shut the fuck up.

"Shut the fuck up" I tried, pushing Marco's arm off my shoulder.

"No" He smirked, just grabbing DJ's hand to wrap it around his shoulder instead.

A beat-up pick up truck pulled into the parking lot, a tanned hand reaching out of the driver side window to flap animatedly at Marco. I heard a loud shout, followed by a string of curses and the blaring sound of Spanish radio.

"Ay, that's me boys" Marco shoved at me, patting DJ on the back before jogging over to the truck.

"His ride was here on time? What the fuck?"

"Maybe ask your boyfriend for a ride then, yeah?" Marco winked at me, ducking my light swing for his shoulder. He stuck his tongue out at me, nodding at DJ before clambering into the shotgun seat of his Uncle's truck.

"He's not my fucking boyfriend" I hissed venomously, gladly returning the gesture when Marco flipped me off as he rounded the street corner.

"I like how you knew who he was talking about though" DJ chuckled next to me, flinching when I turned my glare on him.

Although he towered over everyone, DJ was a pussy. I'd seen little girls intimidate him before; the only reason he wasn't a human doormat was Marco and his incessant call for DJ to stand up for himself. Their relationship was wrong in every way, personalities almost incompatible, but they made it work in their screwed up way.

"Hey, I'm just saying." He held his hands up defensively, eyebrows raised and insinuating that I was being childish. I bit my lip, angrily hoisting my bag up higher onto my shoulder and looking away from him.

"Lukas is my best friend, so yeah, I'm not gonna treat him like shit" I muttered, kicking at the concrete sidewalk. The cracks arched across its surface in a mock rainbow, ending abruptly when the asphalt of the road began. The asphalt looked smooth, reminding me of licorice. Licorice was the only candy my father let me have when I was little and still living with him.