Muffins

I could smell wonderfulness wafting from the kitchen as the timer on the oven dinged.

"Tenya! The blorb blorb muffins are done!" I shouted down the hall. He strode down the hall, wiping his damp hands on his pants.

"Okay, I'll get them out of the oven," He replied. We both returned to the kitchen and I watched expectantly as he leaned over the open oven door.

"Well?" I asked impatiently as he placed them on the counter. "How do they look?"

"Good. We just have to let them cool down before we can try them."

"Well, what do we do in the meantime?" I questioned playfully, him knowing fully well what I wanted to do.

"I'm down," He grinned slyly, "I will just set the timer first." After that was done, we went back to the living room. He positioned the cushions on the floor as I grabbed my "toys".

"Stanley is all ready to go!" I pressed the power button and felt it vibrate gently in my hands.

"I have Lisa," Tenya said, holding his up in the air. I leaned over the tv and pressed play as I inserted the game drive into my Playstation 9 Pro. The Mario Bros Epic theme started playing.

"I'm gonna beat you this time, I swear," I nudged him with my knee and scooted a little closer. I always got to be Mario, but that didn't keep Tenya from beating me. He was simply better than I was. It didn't take long for him to overtake me in battle mode, like usual. All of a sudden, the timer in the kitchen went off. Since Tenya was surprised, he turned his back on the game for a second: just long enough for me to beat the crap out of his character.

"Hey! You little-" My laughter cut off his sentence and he grabbed me, flinging me over his shoulder. "Let's eat muffins." He set me down in the kitchen and pulled apart a muffin for us to share. Through a mouthful of muffin, he asked, "So why are they called blorb blorb muffins?"

"Oh," I laughed again, recalling the answer, "When Nova and I were little, our dad would make muffins with us. Originally, they were blueberry muffins, but we were so little we couldn't pronounce blueberry, so we called them blorb blorb muffins."

"That's cute. And good." He took a napkin from the napkin holder on the counter to wipe his hands and mouth off. "Really good. Well, do you want to grab your sister and Dad? I'm sure they'll love the muffins."

"Sure." I walked over to the bottom of the steps and yelled up at them. "Muffins are ready!" It's amazing how fast they both can come down the stairs when muffins are on the line.

"Mmm, muffins," Nova said through the entire muffin she had stuffed in her mouth before retreating back to her room with a quick remark of thanks and a "tasty." Dad took a couple in his hands, nodded in gratitude, and returned to his work upstairs.

"Well that was fast," Tenya said.

"Yeah, that happens a lot. Nova takes after him and he is pretty reclusive, if you haven't noticed."

"Heh, yeah I noticed." He paused and then added, "What about you? Do you take after your mother?" Then it was my turn to pause.

"I wouldn't know. I don't even know who she is."

"Oh. I'm sorry if I brought up something you don't want to talk about."

"It's fine." I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Even though I don't know who she is, I'm sure she was a great hero. That's all my dad would say on the subject and I know he wouldn't lie to me about something like this."

"Were they ever married? I don't remember ever hearing about Aizawa's wedding."

"Yeah, they were just very discreet about it. I guess since they both had such public jobs, they didn't want their relationship to be a part of that. Only a select group of family and friends got to be at their wedding, like Present Mic. He was best man, and the only groomsman. Midnight was Maid of Honor and the only bridesmaid. Not that my dad told me that," I dropped my voice down to a whisper, "I just may or may not have snooped around his room and found their wedding pictures. I also may or may not have copied a few for my own personal reasons."

"Haruki, you're a sneaky girl. I don't know how you're not always in constant trouble." I laughed at his disapproving glare.

"Yeah, I just don't get caught. Besides, what girl doesn't deserve to know who her mother was?" He sighed depressedly.

"That's true. I just don't always approve of your methods of discovery." I sighed too.

"I know, and sometimes I don't approve of myself either," I hugged him loosely, but reassuringly., "But it's all in the past, and it all worked out, so it's nothing to worry about now." He sighed again and hugged me back.

"Okay. But what are we going to do with the rest of these muffins?"