4|Natalie Hughes

This article contains SPOILERS for SCREAMS, BONDED and WHISPERS

Series:
Screams

Book(s):
Screams (a p p e a r s)
Bonded (a p p e a r s)
Whispers (a p p e a r s)

Full Name:
Natalie Ann Hughes

Also Known As:
Nats (by Calliope, Fred and George)

Born:
15th December 1978

Species:
Witch

Face Claim:
Eliza Taylor

Current Status:
Deceased ✝ (17th July 1997)

Marital Status:
Single

Family Information:
Quintus Hughes (Father)
Ella Ann Hughes (Mother)

Barney Hughes (Brother)
Willow Hughes (Sister-In-Law)
Kyle Hughes (Nephew)
Elizabeth Hughes (Niece)
Ann Hughes (Niece)

Samuel Hughes (Brother)
Marty Hughes (Brother-In-Law)
Alexi Hughes (Nephew)
Janus Hughes (Nephew)

Calliope Weasley (nee Doge)(Surrogate Sister) 
Fred Weasley (Surrogate Brother)
George Weasley (Surrogate Brother)
Aida Weasley (Surrogate Niece)
Natalie Weasley (Surrogate Niece/namesake)
Roxanne Weasley (Surrogate Niece)
Arthur Weasley II (Surrogate Nephew)

Occupation:
Shop Worker (Weasley Wizard Wheezes)

Loyalty:
Hufflepuff House
Calliope
Dumbledore's Army
The Order of the Pheonix

Life:
Childhood
Natalie was born to the Hughes family almost 15 years younger than her brothers. She was always the odd one out in her family, often butting heads with her parents due to their beliefs.

Natalie became an aunt at a very young age, and her eldest Nephew, Kyle was only four years younger than her. Despite this Natalie did not share a very close relationship with her nieces and nephews as they all found her annoying

Hogwarts Years
Natalie was sorted into Hufflepuff with little hesitation from the sorting hat. She quickly befriended the quiet Calliope Doge, who she took a liking to as she was able to do most of the talking, which was something that Natalie excelled at. 

At the beginning of her Third Year, Natalie was placed in a coma after Calliope screamed. Natalie was the last of the Hufflepuff girls to recover as she had been closest to Calliope at the time. This event damaged Natalie's hearing for the rest of her life. 

At the end of her fourth year, Natalie gave Calliope her broomstick, unknowingly allowing the girl to seek out Peter Pettigrew and therefore become possessed by Voldemort.

In her fifth year, Natalie was reunited with Calliope, although Calliope was possessed by Voldemort at the time. Natalie noticed that something was wrong with her friend and when Calliope disappeared she went to talk to Dumbledore. Through the course of this year, Natalie became close with George Weasley as they bonded over their missing friend/sibling.

Over the summer between her fifth and sixth years, Natalie had a major argument with her family as they refused to believe that Voldemort was back and forayed her from seeing Calliope. Natalie did not listen to her parents and continued her friendship with Calliope, who had become a surrogate sister for Natalie. 

In her sixth year, Natalie joined Dumbledore's Army. At Christmas, she intended to go and stay with Calliope and Elphias, however, due to the attack on Arthur Weasley she was unable to. Instead, she signed up to stay at Hogwarts, but her mother showed up and took her back home. She had another argument with her family when they discovered her intention to drop out of Hogwarts at the end of the year. 

Life After Hogwarts
At the end of her sixth year, Natalie moved in with the Weasley twins and began working in their shop. Both she and George became increasingly worried about Fred's mental health after Calliope's disappearance. 

When Fred was captured, Natalie went to Grimmauld place to try and find Calliope. The two girls went back to the Burrow before Calliope disappeared to go and get Fred from Malfoy Manor. Natalie accompanied Fred and George to visit Calliope in the Hospital Wing, where she was recovering from injuries she received whilst rescuing Fred. 

Natalie continued to live with the Weasleys, sleeping on the sofa. On the night of the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Natalie and George were supposed to be on guard duty at Hogwarts, however, they were accompanied by Calliope and Fred as Calliope could sense that something was going to go wrong. Natalie found herself duelling with Alecto Carrow until the end of the battle. 

She comforted Fred after Calliope was taken and left Hogwarts with Sirius, George and Fred. As they were about to leave the castle grounds Calliope warned Fred against leaving, but Fred was too late to warn George and Natalie, who were taken by death eaters the moment that they stepped out of the Hogwarts grounds.

Capture and Death
The pair were taken to Malfoy Manor, where Natalie was subject to torture by Bellatrix Lestrange as the woman tried to get Calliope to divulge information. Several weeks after their capture, the death eaters forgot to re-cast the silencing charm upon Calliope, who was able to get them out of the cellar, in the process knocking out George and Natalie. 

Calliope made a run for it, using a levitation charm to take Natalie and George with her. She was confronted by Nagini, who lunged at Calliope. Calliope dodged the snake's attack, meaning that it went past her and took a large chunk of Natalie's neck out, killing her almost instantly. 

Funeral
Natalie's funeral was organised by George Weasley. At the funeral, Natalie's mother gave a eulogy as did George. George's was interrupted by a distraught Calliope who insisted that people not make out that Natalie was perfect.

Legacy
George and Angelina Weasley's eldest child was named for Natalie. She was commemorated at Hogwarts through the 'Natalie Hughes' shield, which was awarded to a student who showed unwavering loyalty to their friends in times of distress, this award was later won by Aida Weasley.

Physical Appearance:
Natalie had blonde hair and vivid blue eyes. She was taller than Calliope but shorter than the twins.

Personality and Traits:
Natalie was very loyal to her friends and had extreme verbal diarrhoea. 

Etymology:
Natalie is the French variation of Natalia, a name originally derived from the Latin phrase natale domini, meaning "birthday of the Lord." It was historically given to girls born around Christmas for this reason

Quotes:
'"Why do you keep making out like she was perfect? (...) She wasn't perfect, she talked too much and she never knew when to shut up and she couldn't tie her own shoelaces to save her life, she was too loud and- and- (...) She couldn't take a joke and she was the most annoying person that I've ever met! (...) and just because she's gone doesn't mean I'm going to forget all those things!"' -Whispers (Twenty One) Calliope Weasley about Natalie at her funeral.

'(Calliope) hated how she had caused a fight at Natalie's funeral. She hated everything about the situation. The only person she wanted comfort from was gone. And Calliope couldn't help but feel that the world was a darker place without Natalie Hughes in it.' -Whispers (Twenty One)