Chapter 7

Freya walked outside the hut and breathed in the fresh air. She had been sewing all morning inside the hut and her lungs screamed to finally breathe in some fresh oxygen.

“The weather is very damp today”, Freya said to her little sister, Maria, who had been fertilizing the ground all morning.

“It is”, Maria answered in utter concentration. Her tongue came out every time she focused hard on something, and though gardening may not have seemed like a hard task to perform, Maria always yearned for perfection. “It is very good for the crops.”

“Are you in need of any help, because I would be gladly willing to”, Freya offered, and already took a tiny sack with seeds and started putting them in the ground very precisely, just like Maria would’ve done.

“Thank you Freya”, Maria smiled and took a few seeds from the sack Freya was holding.

“So what exactly are these?”, the oldest of the two asked, holding a seed in front of her face. Freya studied the small seed closely but could not figure out what it was supposed to grow into due to her lack of knowledge about gardening. There was not a lot that did not come to her knowledge and Maria was therefore glad to enlighten her sister.

“It may grow into whatever it desires to be”, Maria answered and planted another seed into the dark soil. Freya nodded her head and smiled. How wonderful the childish mind of her little sister was.

Asta nervously fumbled her fingers as she watched the man of the day before. His shoulder length hair were lightly blown in his face as he smiled at what she presumed was his brother. Both men were wielding a sword skillfully, having brotherly fun.

“Here you go Asta”, Hilda, their neighbor, said as she flung the heavy bucket of water against Asta stomach. She stumbled back a little, letting out a huff before grabbing the bucket firmly. A small amount of water colored her light blue dress a shade darker, but she did not mind.

“Thank you Hilda”, Asta smiled and waited for her neighbor to finish filling her own bucket. Hilda carried two bucket and gestured Asta to start walking, for she could not carry the two buckets too long. Asta glanced sideways to the brothers and carefully studied the men’s moves. When the men ended their combat in tie, one of them glanced Asta’s way and nodded at her. Asta felt her cheeks burn up when her dark brown eyes met his green eyes again and smiled shyly at the man. She did not know how to handle situations like these very well. She did not know a thing about suitors or how to get them, all she knew was how to take care of her family.

“That is Finn Mikaelson”, Hilda said, noticing that Asta was staring at the two men. “And his brother Elijah.”

“Finn Mikaelson”, Asta whispered repeatedly, walking away from the Mikaelson brothers. She liked his name, it suited him.

“Does he belong to a woman?”, Asta asked curiously. She bit her lip anxiously as she awaited Hilda’s answer.

“He does not.”

“I find that rather odd. He is a very attractive man.” Asta frowned at the small blonde woman, mother of two and beloved wife of John. Finn was not the youngest anymore and did not have a family yet. It was something that wasn’t very usual, but then again, Asta herself had not started a family either and couldn’t be much younger than Finn. She sighed contently, knowing she still had chance with the green eyed man.

Asta said her goodbyes to Hilda as they parted and placed the bucket on the ground as she spoke to her two younger sisters.

“Freya, is that really you gardening?”, Asta asked surprised. Of all Marwick sisters, Grida and Freya were the least expected sisters to wok on the garden, so it was almost shocking to see Freya with her knees on the dirt, grubbing in the dark soil. Freya, however, had her reasons. She knew that Maria’s passion for gardening was something she had shared with her mother, but now that Agnes did not spend any time with her children anymore, Freya felt sorry for her little sister and decided to accompany her sister.

Asta picked up the bucket again and went inside the hut. Right after she placed the bucket on the wooden table, Isibel walked in with a radiant smile on her face.

“Good afternoon”, the younger Marwick smiled and twirled her orange dress.

“You are in an exceptionally good mood”, Asta smiled, realizing that what she’d said was wrong. It wasn’t exceptional at all for Isibel to be this happy and lively. Isibel too frowned at her sister, but soon recovered her radiant smile.

“I have exciting news”, Isibel said, toddling on her toes while balling her fists. The door of the hut was slammed open and Grida entered the hut but her usual dull expression. If only Grida would ever smile someday, that would be truly exceptional.

“Enlighten me”, Grida’s low voice said, intoxicating the joyous atmosphere. Isibel seemed disappointed by Grida’s lack of excitement, but continued nevertheless.

“We are thrown a welcome party!”, Isibel exclaimed.

“Really?”, Grida said in a monotone voice.

“Really?”, Asta surprised voice echoed after Grida.

“Did I hear someone say party?”, Freya - followed by Maria - asked, entering the hut. She seemed as excited as Isibel and did not bother hiding her smile.

“Yes!”, Isibel smiled. “The Mikaelson family is spreading the word to the villagers.” Asta froze, hearing Finn’s last name. Why would his family throw them a welcome party? Was it just another excuse for the villagers to drink mead and dance all night long?

“Did you say Mikaelson family?”, Asta said, eying her sister carefully.

“Yes I did. I ran into Esther Mikaelson this afternoon when I was wandering around the streets a little. She is very kind and beautiful”, Isibel said.

“So when is this party?”, Freya asked excitedly. She and her sisters deserved this, after all they’d been through with their parents and they were in need of some time to let off the buildup steam.

“Tonight”, Isibel smiled, glancing at her sisters. Though Grida and Freya seemed amused, Asta’s face was washed with concern. Tonight she would have to face Finn Mikaelson.