O N E

<Avalene's p.o.v>

Mom's rushing and shoving the clothes into the black duffle bag. I'm so confused and all I know is we have to wear these stupid masks that cover our mouths. My mom tells me to change into my black clothes and a large sweater, black as well.

Daddy comes out with another bag, dressed in black also.

Mom puts on her shoes, and I follow. dad opens the front door, bags in hand.

We're not suppose to be outside. It's dangerous. I look up to mum worriedly and she shares the exact fear in her eyes.

The sky is black as night. We run through the corn fields of farmer Joseph Dale. And fall flat to the ground when lights are spotted. I'm not sure what we're doing yet but dad says that the cops are out late tonight.

Mum is telling Dad that we should stop at ma and pa's to say our goodbyes. I don't make any sense of this and wonder if ma and pa contracted Floundsio.

I don't dare open my mouth to speak because mother gets scolded when done. My legs feel numb and I'm not sure how far we've gone exactly but I can see the boarder lights. Dad said they're no where close to where we are.

We stop in a group of trees and sit down. The ground is littered with ripped up papers and old rusty metal pieces. I pick up what appears to be a locket. My little hands shaking as the clasp around the cold metal of the frame. And tuck it in my pocket.

The morning lights awoke us, but dad says to stay here. So we await in the trees for hours until daddy comes back with ma and pa not far behind.

We huddle in a group until darkness rose upon us once again. Ma and pa hold my hands until mum tells us it's time to go.

We crawl on the brown soiled ground until we reach a road. Pa tells me to be careful as we duck and run across the road, carefully so we wouldn't be spotted.

"It's kind of like hide-and-seek" ma says lightly squeezing my cold hands. And daddy gives her a disapproving look, telling her to keep quiet.

The boarder lights seem to have come closer now and pa says it'll only be some time until we get there.

I'm unsure about what's going to happen when we get there because the lady on the news mommy and ma where watching said no one leaves.

The light came upon us again as we reached the boarder. Dad tells pa that we'll have to wait until dark again. Then uses the leaves to camouflage us.

I shut my eyes and rest on ma's lap. Soon to be shook awake by dad. He told me to run, with out saying another word.