Feeling Love

People always say: "you just know". Even though that is the most annoying and unhelpful advice, it's true. I had a boyfriend years ago, and I did like him at the time, but I never said I love you to him because part of me wasn't sure if I did. If you're unsure, then it's most likely not love.

I loved the idea of having someone, we talked all day, and I did think about him a lot but looking back on it, it wasn't love, it was attachment. It's really easy to get in the routine of talking to the same person every day, and it's easy to mistake comfort for love. Your mind, heart, gut, and soul should all be in sync when you're with 'the one'. You should be able to feel with your entire being that you love this certain someone and it shouldn't feel like something is missing.

For me personally, what I use to think 'love' felt like was: happy, anxious, and eager to see how long it would last. What true love feels like to me now is: magical, overwhelming (in a good way), and i'm not concerned with how long it will last because it doesn't feel like there could be an end to it.

When I think about the future I don't think: "will he be in it still?", but I think "what will we be up to?".

It seemed like with previous relationships I was more interested in how long we would last as a couple, not because I wanted that specific person, but because I wanted to have somebody. Saying we wanted to be together was easier than admitting we actually just didn't want to be alone.

But the truth is, you have to be happy being alone before knowing who you truly love. Loving yourself first is extremely important and I don't care how many times you've already heard that. You could love having a person's company and attention without actually loving the person.