III - The Immovable Damsel

Vote | Comment

The Immovable Damsel

Even the dumbest fool can see the thick tension lingering in Village Chief Kokuyo's main house

Even the dumbest fool can see the thick tension lingering in Village Chief Kokuyo's main house. There stood the chief's close confidants, standing at the shadow of the afternoon sun and the ire of their chief. Jasper as his right hand, Turquoise as Jasper's wife, and Amethyst, the healer. All bound in ropes around their necks, a symbol of status and noose around the vulnerable wring of their bodies.

Moreover, the certain person in question wasn't present either, thus making the meeting more tainting than before. It's not as surprising as it should have; this is a small village. One talk and the highest throne hears every word. And it has to be his second offspring to boot. Not the first time, but they knew this very moment that Kohaku was bound to get the consequences that has been hanging above her head for some time.

"Even if it seems impossible..." Kokuyo drawled, shadow painting his face as he gritted his teeth at each syllable he utters. Amethyst doesn't have to point out the facts for him.

Not quite, old man.

"That stranger...was brought here by Kohaku, correct?"

Amethyst sweatdropped, calculating thoughts to say to the enraged chief awhile trying to lessen the damage of his daughter's image. And found none. There was none to hide for. Kokuyo have long patience for both of his daughters, yet it seems that Kohaku already ran out the patience that was spared for her.

Choosing to stay silent, Amethyst lurked in the corner near the door. Tensing her shoulders, she saw how sickly and pale the chief's priestess daughter standing obediently beside his throne. Amethyst could guess that Ruri was near to tears, anguish for her beloved sister suffocating her with her father's wrath. After the late priestess' death, she saw in her own eyes that Kokuyo brought the burden of the village and his motherless children at his own shoulders.

It was rare to have the edge of Kokuyo's limit broken, and this is one of those times.

Subtly stepping near the door, the tipping point of the chief's temper erupted. It blared the silence of the main hut, making Jasper and Turquoise flinch at the growl of their village chief. "That stupid girl! I ought to disown her! She always disrespected the rules!"

Poor girl... What was she thinking? Letting an outsider in despite of many possibilities and likelihood that may come?

The female sighed with disbelief in her expression, then rounded in the corner the chief's house to see her own hut. She can't see any sense of bringing herself in danger when concerning personal problems, especially family matters that wasn't even hers in the first place. It is not even the first time Amethyst and Kokuyo's advisers gathered around him just to listen to him complain about Kohaku, and she can say it has been too tiring to even hear the last of them.