N I N E T E E N

My throat is so parched that I feel like clawing at my neck with my fingernails as Everett and I climb the long staircase to the place we have to call home.

"Almost there," Everett sighs, his eyebrows furrowing in strain. I grimace guiltily at the sound of his gravelly voice as he looks past the rigid shoulders of the citizens walking in front of us towards the hallway.

Strangely, as we emerge into the bland all-white corridor, several citizens start pairing off and entering rooms together. Everett shoots a silent, questioning glance at me before stopping near the door marked 'M929'. Shrugging cluelessly in response, I watch as the citizens continue to enter rooms as couples until we are the only ones left standing in the deserted hallway.

I raise my eyes to find Everett staring at his door with an unreadable expression. For a brief moment, my exhaustion fades when I say, very quietly, "I'm tired, but I don't think I can sleep tonight . . . Maybe you could, just for a while, I mean—"

"Yes," Everett says simply with the smallest hint of a smile, nodding like he understands my incoherent rambling. The sight of his smile instantaneously takes me back to a distant memory from a week after his sixteenth birthday.

Everett and I hadn't had the chance to meet in private for two entire days, so I was feeling exceptionally thrilled that evening as I hurried towards the abandoned, half-burnt house. He was already there, leaping up from where he was perched on the broken table to greet me. He pulled me to him; his head tipped to the side so his lips could meet mine. 

A moment before Everett kissed me, he grinned and said, "Finally."

I took one glimpse at his smile, the skin at the edge of his eyes crinkled, before shutting my eyes and unreservedly surrendering to his embrace.

The memory vanishes just as quickly as it appeared, leaving my heart hammering in my chest.

"You could get the water from your room first because there won't enough for us both in mine," I suggest as I force myself to regain composure. Recalling my routine from last night, I add, "But you'd have to finish the shower first. The water appears only later."

Everett nods in agreement but stops short as though he's struck by a thought. "The door locks itself once you're inside. I don't think it opens until tomorrow after the pills."

"Oh. Right . . ." Letting out a deflated sigh, I stare intently at the door in front of me, my gaze running along the strong frame and sharp edges.

"We could try to block it with something!" I say with sudden inspiration, and he accepts the idea with equal enthusiasm. Forgetting our debilitating thirst, we look around frantically, searching for something — anything — in the barren hallway that could be wedged between the sturdy door and its frame. Minutes pass until I'm finally frustrated with the fruitless exercise. I raise my hands to run them through my short hair when something on my wrist catches my line of sight.

"The bracelets," I whisper, allowing a tinge of hope to creep into my voice.

Immediately, Everett steps forward to unlock his door with his wrist held against the bright red dot in the middle. The light turns green and the door unlocks. I nod encouragingly as Everett enters his room.

Just as the door begins to swing shut, Everett carefully holds the slim white band against the frame. Holding my breath, I watch as the door is stopped from sealing shut by a mere inch. The soft bracelet stays in place without breaking.

"It works!" Everett cries triumphantly from inside the room, his voice slightly muffled.

"I'll do the same with my bracelet," I say as an immense wave of relief floods my body. I step closer to the door in an attempt to find him through the tiny sliver of space. "See you in a while."

Managed to get in a surprise update today! Do let me know in the comments what you think of this story so far

Managed to get in a surprise update today! Do let me know in the comments what you think of this story so far. It's always a pleasure to hear from you guys. Thanks so much for reading!

Side note: Is it just me or is time flying ridiculously fast? I mean, we're near 2020 already!

Love,
Amethyst