Animagus

Rebecca's pov

Harry raised the wand.  The seconds lengthened. And still Harry stood frozen there, wand poised, Black staring up at him, Crookshanks on his chest.  Muffled footsteps were echoing up through the floor — someone was moving downstairs.

“WE’RE UP HERE!” Hermione screamed suddenly. “WE’RE UP HERE — SIRIUS BLACK —
QUICK!”

Black made a startled movement that almost dislodged Crookshanks, The footsteps were thundering up the
stairs and Harry still hadn’t done it.  The door of the room burst open in a shower of red sparks and Harry wheeled around as Professor Lupin came hurtling into the room, his face bloodless, his wand raised and ready.

“Expelliarmus!” Lupin shouted.

Harry’s wand flew once more out of his hand; so did the two Hermione was holding. Lupin caught them all deftly, then moved into the room, staring at Black, who still had Crookshanks lying protectively across his chest.

“Where is he, Sirius?” Lupin asked.

Black’s face was quite expressionless. For a few seconds, he didn’t move at all. Then, very slowly, he raised his empty hand and pointed straight at Ron. It scared me that they were pointing at Ron and I hugged him even tighter if that was even possible.

“But then…” Lupin muttered, staring at Black so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind, “… why hasn’t he shown himself before now? Unlessunless he was the one… unless you switched… without telling me?”

Very slowly, his sunken gaze never leaving Lupin’s face, Black nodded.

“Professor,” Harry interrupted loudly, “what’s going on —?”

But he never finished the question, because what he saw made his voice die in his throat. Lupin was lowering his wand, gazing fixed at Black. The Professor walked to Black’s side, seized his hand, pulled him to his feet so that Crookshanks fell to the floor, and embraced Black like a brother.

“I DON’T BELIEVE IT!” Hermione screamed.

Lupin let go of Black and turned to her. She had raised herself off the floor and was pointing at
Lupin, wild-eyed.

“You — you —”  Hermione began.
“Hermione —” I said cautiously, everything happening scared me and I was worried she would snap.

“– you and him!” Hermione continued ignoring me.

“Hermione, calm down —” Professor Lupin said.

“I didn’t tell anyone!” Hermione shrieked. “I’ve been covering up for you —”

“Hermione, listen to me, please” Lupin shouted. “I can explain —”

“I trusted you!” Harry shouted at Lupin, his voice wavering, out of control. “And all the time you’ve been his friend!”

“You’re wrong.” Lupin said. “I haven’t been Sirius’s friend, but I am now. Let me explain…”

“NO!” Hermione screamed. “Harry, don’t trust him, he’s been helping Black get into the castle, he wants you dead too, he’s a werewolf!”