Chapter 1

Fall was over and the winter had arrived. The house was warm and the sounds of a crackling fire and a violin filled the air.

049 was sitting by the fire, scribbling in one of his journals. The wind outside howled and he put down his pen.

"Do you suppose Jay will be alright?" He turned his head towards 035 but his eyes never left the window. "He's never been good with the cold."

035 put down his violin and glanced out the window. "I'm sure he'll be alright, he's dealt with worse in the past."

"That's what I'm worried about."

The two fell into silence, listening to the fire and the wind. Soon the crunch of snow beneath boots could be heard and the door crashed open. Jay rushed into the room, snow clinging to his clothes, and slammed the door shut again. It was a wonder the hinges hadn't broken. The two watched as Jay rushed into the room trying to shake off as much snow as possible before sitting by the fireplace, a bit too close for comfort.

"Is everything alright Jay, you seem more," 049 stumbled to find the right word. "Frantic, than usual."

Jay brushed the snow off his hat and shoulders. "I just don't do well in the snow, I hate the snow, you know that."

"More than anyone, it's true."

035 went into the kitchen to heat up some water and to let the two have some privacy, even if he could still hear what they were saying.

049 had moved to sit beside Jay as he ranted about the snow and the cold. It was one of the few things he couldn't stand.

"It's too cold! Who thought that snow would ever be a good idea?! I am freezing! It's absolutely frigid out there, I-" He stoped and looked towards the ground. He was quiet, no longer shouting, instead mumbling under his breath. "There's something I wanted to tell you, what did I want to tell you?"

He sat thinking for a few seconds longer before shooting to his feet and running to his bag, which he'd dropped in his rush to get inside. He shuffled around in it for a moment. "Ah ha!"

049 had stood up and was now standing by his brother who was waving a letter about.

He took the letter and examined it, the paper was old, very old, and it had been sealed using black wax. The seal depicted a simplistic bird skull. He turned it in his hands for a moment.

"Go on open it!"

049 feared that if he didn't Jay might explode. Carefully he opened it, the writing inside was a beautiful looping script, far better handwriting then he could ever accomplish.

"Greetings, my dear Surgeon," his voice trailed of and read the rest of the letter silently, mouthing the words to himself.

"Whatcha got there Doc?" 035 was leaning in the doorway.

"Hm, oh, it's an old letter, nothing much."

035 nodded, not wanting to pry any further. Instead he decided to change the subject. "So, Jay, how was your trip?"

"Oh, it was going really well until this snow picked up," he flailed one hand at the window. "Nothing really important happened so that's that."

"Lanky's probably out in weather like this," 049 absentmindedly muttered as he tucked the letter away in his pocket. Jay noticeably shivered.

"God I hate the cold, I don't understand why anyone would want to be out in that."

"You want a hot drink to help you warm up?" Still standing in the doorway 035 pointed his thumb back at the kettle.

Jay rubbed his hands together the way one would to warm up. "Oh, yes please."

The mask's gaze shifted to the doctor, silently asking if he would like to join them.

"I have something I want to check up on in my office, if that's alright." It wasn't a question but nevertheless 035 responded with a small nod, 049 turned to the stairs, his hand resting on the banister.

"I should be back down soon." With that he went upstairs.

Carefully he began to search through his bag, looking for the his old cloak and mask. It didn't take long to find them, left untouched since they were cut off. He stared into the hollow eyes of the mask, fingers running along the edges.

Letting out a sigh he hung up the cloak and placed the mask on one of the rooms many shelves. 

He took the letter out of his pocket, scanning over its contents, there was a flower tucked inside of it, shriveled and dead.

A crash stirred him from his thoughts, quickly he rushed down the stairs, worried that the two downstairs had broken something or themselves. The letter forgotten on the desk.

049 got downstairs only to see 035 shut the door, trying to calm Jay and a now crying 096.

At least it wasn't as bad as what he had expected.