Chapter 6

Ayane had a feeling she knew what this was about. This was the first time Arima had called her to his office. Akira had been there training with her when one of Arima's assistants came around to deliver the news.

She'd told her, "Arima is not going to be sympathetic about what happened on your mission that day,don't expect anything but the strictest judgement from him,"

After living with him for one year,she had figured out that much atleast. That he was strict.

She stopped in front of his door and knocked. When she finally entered,another woman was already there. She had a sharp bob cut and a serious,authorative air around her. She looked up at Ayane for a moment,then turned back to her file.

Arima,however was looking straight at her with an unreadable expression on his face. "So I recieved the report of your first mission today from Suzuya,and as horribly done it was,there was one bit that had me concerned. I suspect you know what that is?"

"I suppose,"

"Tell me Ayane,was there any particular reason for your hesitation in exterminating the ghoul?"

"I- No sir,it was just nerves. I was nervous facing a ghoul and couldn't take its life,"

"Very well,it was your first mission after all. Many high ranked investigators face the same problem at the beginning of their career,but they soon get accustomed to this life. I expect the same from you." Akira was right. There was no hint of sympathy in his voice,only proffessionalism.

"Yes,sir,"

She cast another look at the woman, whose scrutinizing eyes probably followed her till the door.

After asking around for a while, she finally found Juuzou on the rooftop of the CCG building. She thought about scaring him from behind,but after weighing the fatal consequences of doing so,she lightly tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey," she said. "Mind if I intrude?"

"Sure,I don't mind,"

She seated herself on the concrete,legs dangling, and tried not to look down.

"So what brings you here?" He asked

She turned to face him. "I was wondering how high ranked investigators like you and everyone else manage to remain so calm in the face of danger,like you don't hesitate or falter when it comes to killing ghouls. How do you do that?"

"You become used to it over time. I dunno about myself,but everyone probably tells themselves they are doing a good thing by ridding the world of evil. That's how I see it,"

"Makes sense. Thanks Juuzou,after all the trouble you, Arima and Akira took to training me, I don't wanna disappoint. I promise I'll give my everything on the job from now on,"

She got off the concrete,brushed any dust off her skirt,and waved a goodbye at him. Maybe they could be friends after all,he thought.

. . .

Later that day,Arima came home to find her still awake on the couch,reading a book. On friday nights,she would always be asleep,clutching a book to her chest.

He had asked her about it one morning and she'd said,"I never got to attend college or even complete high school, so I've been reading a lot trying to expand my mind,"

"You're awake today,"

"Yeah,surprisingly. I also never got to thank you for putting the blankets on me whenever I fall asleep,so thank you. It reminded me of my dad,"

"So this habit of falling asleep on the couch is an old one?"

"Nah,I wasn't much of a reader then,not that I am now;I always preferred more physically challenging activities. What I meant was that he would come to my room long after I had fallen asleep and pat my head sometimes because he,too used to come home late from work,"

"I see,it is quite late. You should go to bed,sleep is important for a healthy body,"

She smiled cheekily." I'm eighteen now,so that's for me to decide,"

She didn't notice his slight smile as she skipped away.