Chapters 13-14

Chapter 13:

Fear and Faith

When Dr. Bond noticed his chest, it was easily explained as to how she knew something was different. When Dr. Sheffield pointed directly at it without any scientific equipment in sight, it made them all stop in astonishment. "You've been scratching at it," he said as he saw everyone staring at him. "Don't tell me you guys haven't been hearing that. It sounds like you're grinding marble!"

Dr. Sheffield held up a finger, pausing their responses for a moment."Before we get going," he said as he walked away. He returned with chairs for everyone and then retrieved some wine. "I've only got plastic cups," he said apologetically, "but it shouldn't hurt the flavor if you drink it fast enough."

After everyone got settled and poured themselves some wine, they shared the story up until the moment they met with him. "Wow," he gasped as he leaned back in his chair, "so there's a statue of the old man still down there?"

"Probably not," Shei replied. "That asshole probably destroyed it."

"You're right," Mike agreed. "It sounded like he was leveling everything around him."

"Who is this guy?" Dr. Sheffield asked. "Does anyone know anything about him, like, I'm sure 'The Dark Man' isn't what shows up on his driver's license."

"Only," Terry answered, "that the group believes he's been sent by God to fight the undead."

"Which God?" Dr. Sheffield asked, following the conversation without disbelief. "I mean, there's like thousands of those."

"You haven't heard of them?" Mike asked. "They call themselves'Christ's Protectors.'"

"Oh, right," Dr. Sheffield said as he took a sip of his wine, "those guys. They believe that he's been sent by the Judeo-Christian God?Strange. How are they making that leap of faith?"

Terry relayed what he heard The Dark Man saying before they faced off at the compound. "He's using some logic to get them to follow him,"he said, "and he can also do something to the undead." Although he hadn't witnessed him in the act, he was convinced, with the memory of The Dark Man, attacking him with his mouth opened wide, that he was devouring their souls.

"I'm sure that any demonstration of the supernatural," Dr. Bond weighed in, "will be enough evidence for anyone at this point. Hell, you could probably pull a quarter from behind my ear, claim yourself Jesus, and have an instant following."

"That's the power of faith and fear," Dr. Sheffield commented thoughtfully."Get people sacred enough, they'll believe any promise to end that fear." He took another sip of his wine and then made a bitter face."I'm not drinking this fast enough," he said as he gulped down the rest in his cup before pouring some more.

"As profound as that was," Mike commented, holding his cup out for a refill, "how is this supposed to help us?"

"Well," Dr. Sheffield leaned forward on his elbows, "it could be something helpful when you face those lunatics, or it could be helpful when you face your own lunacy. The conversation led in that direction, so what are you all afraid of and what are you thinking will end that fear?"

Dr. Bond flashed Terry a grin that said, "I told you he was good."

Everyone had their obvious fears: Mike was fearful for the safety of his son, Shei was fearful for the safety of her people, Dr. Bond was then fearful for the safety of the undead, should The Dark Man ever find his way to the university. Terry had yet to voice his fears and plans to leave those he cared about behind. "Come on," Dr. Sheffield nudged them, "you came looking for help and this is what came up.We can't get through it until we face it."