before the wave hits

Bella is waiting outside her truck the next school day. She's trying to look casual, but everybody is staring at her. She's deviating, again, and it's hard for the other students not to notice. I watch Bella as she looks down and plays with her fingers. She's pretending not to be waiting for me and my car as I pull in but I see right through her. She meets me several feet away from her truck, both of our hoods up to protect from the rain.

"Bella." She dips her head rhythmically.

"Greta." I nod. She opens her mouth to say more, but I cut her off. I hold up one hand, and then grab her elbow when the first period bell rings. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry." Her wide eyes make her look years younger, and my heart cinches. I pull away, taking a few steps back from Bella. "I want to apologize for the events of that night. I left because I didn't think I could stay, not without-" Killing you seems redundant to say, so I let it hang in the air between us. Bella bites her lip and I watch as tears crest in her eyes again.

"Wow, I'm," She laughs as she wipes along her tear line with her sleeves, shaking her head. "I'm sorry. It's been so long since someone has said that and meant it." Her laugh relaxes me. "When the others, you know, when they apologize it's always something grand about being a monster, or being bad for me."

"I know what I am and I know I can't change it. What's to apologize about? Move on, better yourself, that's what I always say." I shrug, "I've been alive too long to hate myself. There's nothing stopping me from loving me." I jerk my head toward the school buildings. They look abandoned but warm as class has already started. Bella is thinking far too hard. It's hard for me to get into her head, impossible - with anyone else I slip, grab their wrist, and I have unlimited access to whatever they've experienced. But Bella? I could run my fingers over bare skin for weeks and get nothing from her.

"That's the most mature thing I've heard a vampire say. How old are you?" I laugh, shaking my head. From the corner of my eye she already looks happier. "What? I want to know the answer. For science."

"For science?

"Yes, for science."

"I'm seventeen."

Bella elbows me and I dance out of the way just before we enter our first class of the day, "I want your real age. Carlisle is like, three hundred and ninety-two years old and he doesn't say things as mature as that. And he was twenty three when he was changed." If I had a working heart, it would be thudding in my chest. If I had to breathe it would be quick, staccatos of fear. I swallow and lean over to Bella, trying to be as quiet as possible. We enter the class and, after a brief apology to the teacher, take out seats. I'm sitting behind her, doing my best to keep my voice down.

"Three hundred and eighty-six." I confess. Bella's mouth drops open and I slouch, trying to seem as human as possible. Well, trying to feel as human as possible again.

"What's three hundred and eighty-six?" Lauren smiles at me, eyes glazing over Bella, "Did I miss something?" Her smile is sickly and fake, but she's still beautiful. She truly has the beauty of a vampire without any of the traits of one.

"It's nothing." Bella dips her head, pushing some of her loose hair behind one ear. She gives Lauren a shy, but nice, smile.

"Actually, you did miss something. The math homework due next period." I smile at Lauren, giving her no reason not to believe me. Her eyes widen for a fraction of a moment before she turns and begins to dig in her backpack. Lauren deserves panic for the things she says behind people's backs, and the way she treats others. Bella slaps at me, but I don't move out of the way. Instead, I grin at her when she curses, drawing the attention of most of the class, and holds her arm. "Bella, are you okay?" I plant a hand on her shoulder, stifling my laughter, "Jeez, you're clumsy."

When she glares at me I supply her with a wink and a flash of my canine teeth. She scoffs and shifts in her seat. The teacher calls for everyone to pair up, and I'm tempted to sit next to her but I know, like most of the school does, that nobody sits next to Bella. Nobody partners with Bella. Bella coughs and kicks the chair next to her. Nobody else notices, and I cock an eyebrow at her. She gestures loosely to it and I take the seat. I'm not sure if Bella can hear the whispers, but they're clear to me. People are gossiping already and it's no doubt because I probably look like a budget Cullen. "Well, this is new." I state, clasping my hands.

"I'm... Tired of being alone, I think." Bella's mouth barely moves as the teacher begins to explain the assignment, "You're the only one who doesn't judge me because of them."

"The self-isolation probably didn't help, either, Bella." I smirk at her, pretending to be interested in whatever our group project is, "I'm sure that suddenly interacting with me isn't helping your case, either." Bella laughs and I look at her. There's no sun out in Forks today, but I can imagine the halo effect it would have on her profile. Her smile lights up her face, and she bites her lower lip. It's easy to understand how that Cullen kid fell in love with her.

It's easy to understand why he left her.