Chapter nine: For now

Jaemin dragged his feet as he slowly walked to school. He decided that he could get away with being late and use his concussion as an excuse. He left twenty minutes late.

As he was walking through the school gates his phone made a chirping noise, it was the noise his phone made when he got a text. He pulled his phone out to look at it:

The Dream Squad:

Mark: Nana we heard u were coming back today why aren't u suffering w me in Physics?

Jaemin: Running late srry mOrk

Chenle: He prob forgot 2 cum cuz of his concussion lol

Haechan: our innocent bby...

Chenle: wdym?

Haechan: It's spelled come sweetie

Chenle: I know I was just-

Jaemin switched off his phone and slipped it into his pocket before the hall monitor could say anything. He figured he could entertain himself with Chenle's ruined innocence later.

He walked into his Physics class and sat down beside Mark, he out his head down on the table and let Mark fill him in on what he missed the past week.

🍋🍋🍋

"So I expect rough drafts to be turned in by next week on-..oh Mr. Na, glad to have you back, Please take a seat and open our syllabus up to page 82."

Jaemin entered the room. He saw Jeno who greeted him with his signature head nod without a hint of emotion. Jaemin couldn't help but admit he was a little disappointed. He had hoped Jeno would have been a little nicer after what happened.

From behind Jeno, Felix sneered at Jaemin. Jaemin glared back and sat down to open his syllabus. He groaned out loud at what he saw under Homework. It was a graded group project worth 100 points. It was a twenty minute presentation with your partner and a six page essay to be submitted with your partner.

"So group projects will be due in exactly three weeks from today. I will assign groups your topics now. I will also give you class time to work on this project. Jeno since you did not have a partner before why don't you join Jaemin for this project?"

Jaemin looked over to Jeno for some form of response but there was none. He just slowly got to his feet and dragged his stuff over to Jaemin when the class began to disperse and meet up with their partners.

"History of relationships between the five kingdoms." The teacher said when she arrived at Jeno and Jaemin's table, "And try to keep this project civil." She peered down at them with her glasses perched at the end of her nose. The two boys just nodded at her. She left them be to assign more topics to their classmates.

"Hey." Jeno greeted as he settled down next to Jamein. "Glad to have you back."

Jaemin perked up a bit at that.

"I thought I was going to have to do this whole project by myself."

Jaemin faltered at little. "Well god forbid you have to do a little work around here." He said before he yanked his books out of his bag and flipped them open to the right page, scanning the text for important clues.

Jeno looked up from the table to Jaemin. He wasn't expecting a reaction like that. Then he decided to do something he had never really done before. He reached out and grabbed Jaemin's hand that was scanning over the page he was reading. The action surprised both Jaemin and Jeno. It sent tingles of warmth down Jaemin's arm and festered in his necklace. He held back a grimace by slowly looking up to meet Jeno's eyes.